No brake food

Options
2»

Replies

• kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Can you plan to just eat a little of it every day? Maybe you are binging because you deny yourself for so long, and then once you are able to eat it, you can't stop. If you try having just a bit each day and fitting it into your calories, that may help normalize it!
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wish I had an answer for you! I'm not there yet with my trigger foods. I try and I'm only successful as long as the container or package is sealed. Once I open it, game over. The problem for me is that my trigger foods are the foods I go to when I stress eat. It's a bad combo for me.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    @sofchak Bumping this to ask how it's going! Hope this thread helped you out with your moderation hurdle. :)
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thanks for checking in @Susieq_1994. I tried twice and binged twice. I think it was connected to the stress around training for my first ultramarathon. Now that I have that event behind me and I am not so hangry from the long runs, I should try to have PB in the house again to see how I do. Will pick some up this week to see how it goes.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    Thanks for checking in @Susieq_1994. I tried twice and binged twice. I think it was connected to the stress around training for my first ultramarathon. Now that I have that event behind me and I am not so hangry from the long runs, I should try to have PB in the house again to see how I do. Will pick some up this week to see how it goes.

Good luck! I've had the same issue myself, but the key for me is generally just to keep trying, eventually I get it right. :) It might be easier if you buy those single-serving packages you mentioned before, they might be easier than a full jar. Hope it goes better this time!
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I love PB too. But I'm surprised how much I'm ok with having it around and not eating it. My BF requires it at work and at home...LOL Don't get me started on Nutella or Reese's spread...LOL

I do know though, if I start eating it, I'll want it all the time. If I don't eat it, it doesn't phase me. Like Potato Chips, and all the other other things I have "no brakes" for. It seems extreme to not eat it and I know that is frowned upon here, but I know what I can eat and be satisfied and what will just make me either want more of it, or lots of something else.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Try allowing yourself some every day. If you know that there's going to be PB tomorrow, you may not be so desperate to eat it all in one sitting.

Like pre-log it in every single day. KNOW that you're going to have it tomorrow again.
  • sofchak
    Options
    I tried again today and failed immediately. Ugh. Luckily I stopped at 3 tbsp and threw the jar away before I got myself into too deep a calorie overload. I guess that's progress. Better than half the jar before stopping (and way better than the entire jar). So still no brakes initially... but the emergency brake came on faster this time. Will give it another go soon.

I have to be able to get this figured out eventually. It's literally the only food in the world I have this problem with now - I was able to recently conquer my desire to eat all the Amish whoopie pies I so dearly love (6 to a container) in a couple days (1 per day now when I do buy them).

Thanks for the continued advice and encouragement. Maybe I will try the single serving packets again....
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    I tried again today and failed immediately. Ugh. Luckily I stopped at 3 tbsp and threw the jar away before I got myself into too deep a calorie overload. I guess that's progress. Better than half the jar before stopping (and way better than the entire jar). So still no brakes initially... but the emergency brake came on faster this time. Will give it another go soon.

I have to be able to get this figured out eventually. It's literally the only food in the world I have this problem with now - I was able to recently conquer my desire to eat all the Amish whoopie pies I so dearly love (6 to a container) in a couple days (1 per day now when I do buy them).

Thanks for the continued advice and encouragement. Maybe I will try the single serving packets again....

I definitely encourage the single-serving packets. Like I said, being able to take that one serving and have the others sealed and put away was a big part of my success--I still have a lot of trouble with "bulk" packages of things like cookie or cake, it's really hard to stop at one serving when the whole thing is open, right there in front of you in all its glory!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I definitely encourage the single-serving packets. Like I said, being able to take that one serving and have the others sealed and put away was a big part of my success--I still have a lot of trouble with "bulk" packages of things like cookie or cake, it's really hard to stop at one serving when the whole thing is open, right there in front of you in all its glory!

I needed to do this with chips. One family sized bag is a cheaper way to go, but I'd kill it in 1 or 2 sittings. Better for me to buy a box of small bags and take 1.
  • sofchak
    Options
    I took your advice, @Susieq_1994 and bought the single serve pack. Put 7 containers in the far corner of the top cabinet and the 8th container is in the fridge for when I need that teaspoon of peanut butter for the dog’s nightly meds. Day 5 and don’t even feel like touching it; not even obsessing about it like I used to do.

I think now that my racing season is done for the year, I am seeing my body appreciate the consistency of a normal running routine - the stress on the body is less so my appetite has dropped to a normal level. My hope is that by the time I am ready to ramp up for next season, I have my relationship with peanut butter figured out so I don’t fall back into binging on it.

Time will tell. Thanks for checking in on my progress and for the continued advice.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    I took your advice, @Susieq_1994 and bought the single serve pack. Put 7 containers in the far corner of the top cabinet and the 8th container is in the fridge for when I need that teaspoon of peanut butter for the dog’s nightly meds. Day 5 and don’t even feel like touching it; not even obsessing about it like I used to do.

I think now that my racing season is done for the year, I am seeing my body appreciate the consistency of a normal running routine - the stress on the body is less so my appetite has dropped to a normal level. My hope is that by the time I am ready to ramp up for next season, I have my relationship with peanut butter figured out so I don’t fall back into binging on it.

Time will tell. Thanks for checking in on my progress and for the continued advice.

That's wonderful! I hope you continue to be successful. :) I'm so glad my advice could help. :smiley:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

Awesome progress!
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    normalize the peanut butter buy allowing your self to work it into the days calories , when it is no longer a treat it looses the hold . I allow myself a tablespoon on low cal toast or celery it is a reasonable amount of cal for a treat and has protein . I also allow small amounts of chocolate . when you banish a food you give it power . add lots of fiber to your day so you will not have the up and down blood sugars that tend to lead to binges.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Honestly, based on the way you're describing your relationship with peanut butter it may always be a trigger food for you. Unless you can pin down exactly why it triggers your need to overeat it and deal with that underlying issue. It might be something you just have to avoid altogether and you might need to work more on accepting that.

I agree. I’m starting to think some people might have issues with food that are similar to alcoholics with booze. You might not be able to reintroduce trigger foods anymore than an alcoholic can reintroduce booze, especially since you want to so badly. For me, I don’t binge or overeat, but I sometimes buy a single mini chocolate peanut butter cup when I get gas, but for you that might be like an alcoholic buying a mini bottle.