Cheap, healthy food that's easy to bring to work?

Options
2»

Replies

• beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    If you don't cook, buy a bag of precooked seasoned chicken, a bag of salad mix and some low carb, low cal wraps like Tumaros. Add a little lite mayo or another condiment. Roll the chicken and salad in the wrap, serve with baby carrots. Probably around $10 for 4 days of lunch.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Nuts / seeds
    Hard boiled eggs
    Carrots
    Cucumbers
    Bananas
    Apples
    (Any other seasonal fruit)
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    When I was tight on budget/time, I would bake a week's worth of potatoes, and eat one for lunch each day with a can of tuna fish and salsa on top. Carrots and apples for snacks. Pros: small, healthy, filling, dirt cheap, no refrigeration needed, minimal prep time. Cons: Smell is off-putting if you eat in a small break room and the taste is unusual.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options

amandaeve wrote: »
    When I was tight on budget/time, I would bake a week's worth of potatoes, and eat one for lunch each day with a can of tuna fish and salsa on top. Carrots and apples for snacks. Pros: small, healthy, filling, dirt cheap, no refrigeration needed, minimal prep time. Cons: Smell is off-putting if you eat in a small break room and the taste is unusual.

"And the taste is unusual". Just cracked me up. A sad lunch!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Often leftovers from the night before...especially as we get into soup/stew season...or a sandwich.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I did five chicken thighs, mixed bell peppers and onions. Little Olive oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and baked it all for 30 min. Then I split it into five containers added a scoop of black beans and some guacamole salsa that makes my mouth water when I think about it. Put it on a bed of lettuce and all my lunches this week were like 350 calories of perfection.