Protein Bars for breakfast??

Options
I cannot eat when I first wake up in the mornings, it makes me extremely nauseous. I get up about an hour before I leave my house for school each morning. I don't have any extra time to get up earlier as I typically stay up late studying every night. I know I need to eat breakfast and usually get hungry about an hour after getting to class. My question is, is a Quest protein bar or cereal bar a bad idea for a regular breakfast? I usually snack on fresh fruit up until lunch and drink coffee to hold me over, but I'm not meeting my protein goals each day and usually going over on my carbs. I like the Quest bars because they don't have added sugars in them, but are there other things that could potentially cause weight gain or slow my weight loss by having a protein bar for breakfast maybe every other day? I still stay within my calorie allotment even when I have a protein bar.

Replies

• Princeza1
    Princeza1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try carnation breakfast shakes. Im on the same boat and this shake makes me feel fool and not hungry
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Sure, whatever works for you :) As long as your overall diet is balanced, there's nothing wrong with having a protein bar for breakfast.

<raises hand> Guilty :) Protein works for me in the morning and real food just doesn't appeal. I've been experimenting a little with protein shakes, but so far they just make me nauseous.
  • KetoZombies
    KetoZombies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You sound like a god candidate for intermitted fasting
  • FutureDVM2020
    FutureDVM2020 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You sound like a god candidate for intermitted fasting

I've heard of this, but what is it all about?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My normal breakfast for years has been a protein bar. It keeps my stomach settled and lasts for hours. Best of all, it's convenient first thing in the morning. I don't have to think about it - just grab and go. B)
  • FutureDVM2020
    FutureDVM2020 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    buffgrl wrote: »
    First of all, stop eating so late at night and you will be hungry first thing in the morning. At night your digestive system slows down and prepares for rest, so when you eat late your poor tired system is forced to sluggishly try to digest your food when it is supposed to be resting, which also disrupts the quality of your sleep by the way. (Yes, eating late disrupts your sleep patterns so that you won't get that deep, refreshing sleep that you need.) Anyhow, since your digestive system is sluggish at night, you will probably wake up with food and acids still in your gut. Hopefully you don't have reflux, which can happen when eating to close to bedtime. Ever wake up with that sour taste in your mouth? Guess what- you're tasting your own stomach acids that came up while you were sleeping, nice right? The other thing to do is to drink 8-16oz of water before anything else, first thing in the morning. This is because many people wake up dehydrated from 6-8 hours of no fluids, and your body needs fluids in order to create digestive juices. Coffee doesn't count because it dehydrates. Don't eat past 6pm and drink water first thing in the morning and I'll bet within 20 minutes of finishing your water you'll start feeling hungry.

I don't eat terribly late at night on a regular basis. Not eating past 6pm though is not practical for me as I don't get out of class till 5 most days and don't get home and get daily responsibilities taken care till well after 6. I sip water and coffee during my first 2 classes because even water makes me nauseous that early in the morning. I've been like this since I was a kid, even when I did go to bed at a reasonable time and was in great shape. I've never been able to eat breakfast first thing in the morning even when I was very young. Even if I was hungry w/ in 20 minutes of waking up, I still don't have time to make and eat a protein filled breakfast b/c my schedule is tight enough as it is.

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    First of all, stop eating so late at night and you will be hungry first thing in the morning. At night your digestive system slows down and prepares for rest, so when you eat late your poor tired system is forced to sluggishly try to digest your food when it is supposed to be resting, which also disrupts the quality of your sleep by the way. (Yes, eating late disrupts your sleep patterns so that you won't get that deep, refreshing sleep that you need.) Anyhow, since your digestive system is sluggish at night, you will probably wake up with food and acids still in your gut. Hopefully you don't have reflux, which can happen when eating to close to bedtime. Ever wake up with that sour taste in your mouth? Guess what- you're tasting your own stomach acids that came up while you were sleeping, nice right? The other thing to do is to drink 8-16oz of water before anything else, first thing in the morning. This is because many people wake up dehydrated from 6-8 hours of no fluids, and your body needs fluids in order to create digestive juices. Coffee doesn't count because it dehydrates. Don't eat past 6pm and drink water first thing in the morning and I'll bet within 20 minutes of finishing your water you'll start feeling hungry.

Oh wow, just no way. I mean I'm glad that works for you, but I have never had an appetite before 11:00 or 12:00 and I truly like it that way.

O.P. I don't get nauseous but I don't ever want to eat in the morning so I'm trying out IF ( intermittent fasting) which really boils down to a fancy way of saying I skip breakfast and don't snack after dinner. Lol. Seriously there are theories that maybe a body processes food better or produces less insulin if they go for 12 to 16 hours regularly etc. but it boils down to don't eat breakfast and don't snack after dinner. - I don't believe the fancy claims - but eating like this means I have a lot more calories for lunch and dinner ( especially helpful when I am playing with only 1200 for weight loss.).
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options

I eat late at night and wake up hungry. I also have great sleep despite eating late at night. I don't wake up with a sour taste in my mouth. Coffee is not a diuretic.

I eat most of my calories right before bed and this is me too.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all wrong with a Quest bar for breakfast as long as you meet your macros throughout the rest of the day. The protein and fiber should keep you sated until you can get a full meal.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat when I first wake up in the mornings, it makes me extremely nauseous. I get up about an hour before I leave my house for school each morning. I don't have any extra time to get up earlier as I typically stay up late studying every night. I know I need to eat breakfast and usually get hungry about an hour after getting to class. My question is, is a Quest protein bar or cereal bar a bad idea for a regular breakfast? I usually snack on fresh fruit up until lunch and drink coffee to hold me over, but I'm not meeting my protein goals each day and usually going over on my carbs. I like the Quest bars because they don't have added sugars in them, but are there other things that could potentially cause weight gain or slow my weight loss by having a protein bar for breakfast maybe every other day? I still stay within my calorie allotment even when I have a protein bar.

The bolded part is the key. As long as you do that, you shouldn't see any changes to your progress simply because you swapped out some fruit for a quest bar.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

I eat a protein bar every single day for breakfast. Within 30-minutes of waking up I have to have something. Protein bars will not slow weight loss or cause weight gain. They are good to use as a supplement to reach your protein goals. Try Oh Yeah ONE bars for similar macros as well (high protein, low carb/sugar). Other good options could be oatmeal with one scoop protein and some fruit (I like Maple Instant Oats with Iso Pure Zero Carb protein and a banana) or even a Greek yogurt (Chobani has good macros and the Flips are awesome for a sweet treat). Egg whites with one egg mixed in and some spinach, maybe even a little chicken, are delicious as well - although more time consuming.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Like you, I'm not hungry when I first get up. MWF I get up at 440 and go to the gym for a 530 class, and TTh I sleep in until 6. Both days, I get to my desk at work at 730 and I'm not usually hungry until 8-830. I have eaten a Wegmans Wholesum bar almost every day for the last year for my workweek breakfast (Can't cook at work, it has to not smell because I share an office, and it has to be non-perishable because whatever I take will sit in the car for two hours on a gym day) and I'm still losing weight. It took some trial and error to find a bar that would keep me feeling full (I also like Larabars when on sale) and Wholesums work for me.
    If you're hungry, you definitely need to eat, and if you need something you can eat on your way to or while in class, a protein bar is a good way to meet both those needs.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything until 1-3 hours after I wake up. During the week, it's usually a protein bar with coffee. Has been for a long time now and I'm losing weight just fine. Sometimes I get crazy and eat Greek yogurt and fruit.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I eat my biggest meals right before bed like 80% of my calories from 10-2am and dont eat until 12-2 the next day. I am never hungry for breakfast because I eat a lot at night. Haven't eaten breakfast in years. You don't need to have breakfast.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

I eat late at night and wake up hungry. I also have great sleep despite eating late at night. I don't wake up with a sour taste in my mouth. Coffee is not a diuretic.

I only sleep well when I eat a big meal right before bed. I can't sleep otherwise and end up tossing and turning waking throughout the night. Your digestive system is very active at night because it is your "rest and digest" part of the day. I've read numerous studies that your digestive system is actually more active than during the day. (not your metabolism) The only thing that "slows" digestion is during the flight or flight response when blood is diverted elsewhere and the body shuts off digestion in order to use energy for other systems.