What is your activity level set at?

Options
And why did you choose that setting? I'm at a loss to set it between lightly active or active. I'm not too sure :/ I think I'm more lightly active?

Replies

• Jadedinosaur
    Jadedinosaur Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sedentary because I work a desk job - I log intentional exercise as exercise as that doesn't factor in to the MFP activity levels. My "normal living" is not active.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    sedentary ....one day i should just suck it up and put very active but seeing 1500+ exercise calories is motivating, Plus having the option to sit on my butt and not move a muscle after a hard day work and not have to recalc XD
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Sedentary so I count every calorie burned via walking and other exercise I include. Also I chose this because I work from home and some days I don't exercise.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sedentary because unless I am purposefully walking for exercise I would get less than 3,000 steps. I'm not doing intensely physical things most of the time.

I read that sedentary is 5,000 steps or less and active would be 10,000 steps or more.
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/16736253-question-about-activity-levels

Are you on your feet moving around all day or have a very physical job? Are you using an activity tracker?
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Sedentary, because I have a desk job. I feel activity is bonus. And I find that it's pretty accurate according to my losses.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Pick one and try it for a few weeks, see what happens and adjust as required. Doesn't matter what everyone else is doing :)

This. I started at sedentary due to my desk job and then adjusted upwards when I found that MFP was constantly projecting a lower weight loss than my actual numbers, which meant that I was maintaining a greater deficit than intended. I am set to active now in spite of my butt-in-seat job, which probably reflects that I've always been one of those "twitchy" people who had a hard time gaining weight (until I really put my mind to it a few years ago...), which is really difficult to measure or predict until you start watching your numbers as closely as I have for a pretty decent period of time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I chose Sedentary and I let my Fitbit do all the necessary adjustments.
  • zorrocat
    zorrocat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I use lightly active because I have a standing desk and walk around the floor a lot at work. I only log intentional exercise and walks that are longer than 5 minutes.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I spend most of the day sitting - either at a computer, watching TV, or reading - so I am mostly sedentary. OTOH, I do a couple of hours of intentional exercise. MFP is great for that because I can count and eat back my exercise calories. I actually burn a bit more than MFP says, but that's fine with me.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Pick one and try it for a few weeks, see what happens and adjust as required. Doesn't matter what everyone else is doing :)

This ^. I started with sedentary. After 40 days I realized I was losing weight too fast, so back calculated and found out I was 'active' as per mfp. Mfp standards of activity are low.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sedentary. Calories burned through physical activity is not well understood. Calories reported in food is also inaccurate. Use these as a heuristic. For activity beyond "normal" I estimate calories in increments of 50 by duration and heart rate. For 60 minutes of house cleaning I log 30 mins of low exertion and count it as 50 calories. I log 30 minutes of lap swimming as 150 calories or 100 depending on my average heart rate where high heart rate indicates higher exertion. I use calories as a heuristic for portions that I determine through weight or volume. I also categorize foods by a rounded calorie to portion rating (high and low, highly correlated to carb content) and by a satiation rating (high and low, highly correlated to fat and/or protein content). None of these are better or worse or to be avoided, it just helps when making food choice. By weighing myself daily at the same time, I can track how activity and food intake are impacting my weight trends. Only count on the things you *can* measure as being accurate and try to measure them as accurately as possible. Some people do well with a higher activity setting. I don't. The sedentary setting allows me to reproduce their equation so I clearly understand how they are modelling their estimate. It's easier to make adjustments when you know what variables are going into your equation. Increasing the activity level introduces an additional variable that you cannot verify. All of these values are guesses at best and need to be adjusted.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sedentary. I log all exercise activity individually, using my own calculated burns (bad MFP, *bad* *bad*). Including entries for "above normal" steps, in 4000-step increments.

This almost always keeps me within 5% ish of actual TDEE, as determined by long term consistent logging, and the "error" is to the good side.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I had it set at active in the beginning and lost 10 pounds in a month. That was before I started school and was working 4-5 days a week at a veterinary office so I was constantly running around (sometimes literally when I walk the dogs) lifting dog food, lifting big dogs on the exam table, lifting dogs into the bathtub, restraining dogs, doing the cleanups and closing down the hospital like sweeping mopping etc! But now that I started school I only work 2-3 times a week for 5 hours a day. I'm in class from 11:30-2:30 and 4:30-6:30 so almost like 5-6 hours roughly I'm sitting now so I put it at sedentary last week when I started but man am I a little more hungry lol I got used to the 1800 calories I had on active setting! But my weight did slow down after that first month which is why I'm asking what y'all put. I'm gonna try to stick out sedentary for a while to see if that'll get the scale moving but we'll see. I'm just like I'm still active at work I just work less so maybe I could try lightly active soon after giving the sedentary a shot. Edit: I don't work out or exercise. It's possible I will soon but as of now I don't.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Lightly active - I get between 6k and 11k steps per day. I log my intentional workouts separately.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm set at sedentary, and am currently using the Pacer app to track my activity. Even though I'm a SAHM, and clean my house every day, I still barely get 5000 steps in. When I workout my average day is 11,000 steps (I love my cardio), but I like knowing if I miss my workout, or spend my entire day snuggling a sick kid on the couch, orhen Sunday rolls around and I do jack squat, I don't have to worry about eating too much, or recalculating my day.
  • pookey26
    pookey26 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Lightly active - I get between 6k and 11k steps per day. I log my intentional workouts separately.

This is me too , but like others have said try one and see what works.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sedentary. Then log my 6 miles of walking in each day.