Problems with Ketogenic diet. Help!

Options
I don't really know where to start. So I was on MFP a few years back losing some outdated baby chub and calorie counting worked well for me ... but I was doing a lot of exercise as well. Anyway, 2015 I got diagnosed with breast cancer at 31 years old and long story short...now I'm fat. The amount of steroids I was constantly pumped with due to me being so poorly on the chemotherapy was outrageous. Added to that general inactivity and craving junk...well, I'm in a mess. I can't have my reconstructive surgery until I lose at least 30 pounds. I need to lose a lot more but 30 would be a great start.

I always relied upon exercise in the past to boost my calorie burn but I don't have the energy for anything but walking and some light resistance stuff. I looked into the Ketogenic diet and thought it sounded perfect for me and something that I could do. The first few days were a breeze. Got to day 3 or 4 and I'm wired. I can't sleep. At all. I'm irritable and my stomach thinks my throat has been cut. I can't get enough food down me. I could probably deal with most of that but the insomnia is something I cant accept and I know isn't good for my body. It's been through enough. I want to heal it not damage it further.

So, I'm back here...wondering whether to go back to calorie counting. I don't know what to do for the best. I thought I'd be half way to skinny jeans by now but I seem to be to-ing and fro-ing between all these different ideas and schools of thought....that I just end up dizzy and reaching for a cake coz I'm so fed up...

I thought cutting grains out would be good for me because I am actually afraid of sugar since having cancer. All the horror stories about sugar causing all major illnesses flying about made me think that Ketogenic had the health goods...but then came the waking nights...

Someone help! Oh and more friends would be good.

Thanks in advance, Lisa

Replies

• KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not keto so unfortunately I don't have any advice to share but I wanted to stop by and wish you well on your recovery from the breast cancer.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm not keto so unfortunately I don't have any advice to share but I wanted to stop by and wish you well on your recovery from the breast cancer.

Thank you <3

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    have you tried the whole MFP and calorie counting thing yet? since keto doesn't seem to be working for you, its worth a shot!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I've done keto on and off for 5 years. I can relate to the insomnia issue, and it does pass. The first week or two of keto fills you up with a lot of extra energy (generally) and that can mess your sleep cycle up.

I ultimately found keto too restrictive so I've returned to plain ol' calorie counting and its working nicely.
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    Tbh with you, taking into account what you've been through I'd consult a doctor before trying a Keto diet. It's a diet that can be demanding on the body and the mind, and I'm sure stress is not something you need in your life right now.
    Stick to counting the calories for now, watch your fat intake, eat your greens and get some good lean protein into you.
    ...the Keto diet isn't a way of eating for life, that's why its called a diet. Once you're off it the weight could come back just as easily.

Take care

Sound advice. Thank you :)

• LearningToFly13
    Options
    Cutting grain isn't a good plan for you if you end up reaching for cake. It's the junk you're supposed to cut down on, not the food - technically you just have to cut down on your calorie intake to lose weight, and you can eat some treats and lose weight - and be healthy - but cut most from junk, and eat enough food to stay healthy.

Set up MFP to lose whatever is closest to 1% of your body weight per week. Hit that goal every day. Prelogging is smart. Shopping for what you want to eat is smart. Not cutting out food groups is smart.

And talking to someone about what you've been going through, if you aren't already, and addressing your ongoing fears, can be smart.

That all sounds like truth <3
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Have you considered seeing a registered dietitian (RD)? With everything your body has been through (and will go through for reconstruction), it seems like you might benefit from expert guidance on creating a healthy diet that will help your body heal. An RD is the professional who can best help you with a diet to help with this, and since they are experts on nutrition, you don't have to sort through all the seemingly conflicting evidence, that is the RDs job. If you have insurance, I would check to see if they will pay for it if your doctor refers you. I wish you the best.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Every way of eating requires a calorie deficit to "work", they just impose rules and restrictions that often result in it without you knowing and thus think it's the miraculous types of food causing the loss.

So if keto isn't for you it isn't for you. If getting back to basics and counting calories is more sustainable and enjoyable and achievable then do that.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents - I'm down over 25lbs and the only meaningful exercise I do is walking. You can make a huge difference just through your diet, so focus on that and don't worry about the exercise until your body can handle it!

Sending you a friend request because we can all use more friends! :) Wishing you the best of luck!
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents - I'm down over 25lbs and the only meaningful exercise I do is walking. You can make a huge difference just through your diet, so focus on that and don't worry about the exercise until your body can handle it!

Sending you a friend request because we can all use more friends! :) Wishing you the best of luck!

Thank you, that is encouraging :):)<3:)

• LearningToFly13
    Options
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    Have you considered seeing a registered dietitian (RD)? With everything your body has been through (and will go through for reconstruction), it seems like you might benefit from expert guidance on creating a healthy diet that will help your body heal. An RD is the professional who can best help you with a diet to help with this, and since they are experts on nutrition, you don't have to sort through all the seemingly conflicting evidence, that is the RDs job. If you have insurance, I would check to see if they will pay for it if your doctor refers you. I wish you the best.

'm in the UK so I don't know if I am entitled to see a dietician on the NHS. I will definitely look into that though :)
  • BakriYousif123
    BakriYousif123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try getting more fibre in
  • catherinearchibald
    Options
    Hey, I'm going to throw my thoughts in too.

First up, you grew a whole human being and then kicked cancer's *kitten* so that girl you're complaining about for having a little (or a lot) bit of chub - she's amazing so give her a break woman!

If you're still feeling tired, you're still healing so take it easy and do what you can. You absolutely can self refer to a dietician in the UK and it's probably a good idea for you to do that. I'm not saying that from a weight loss point of view but from a being kind to your body with good nutrition.

I understand that you want your reconstruction - actually, that's a lie. I don't know how you feel so I won't pretend to but bottom line - you're here and with a little patience, self-kindness, gentle exercise and good nutrition, that weight loss will come. Followed quickly by new boobies!

I really hope everything goes well for you x
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting through chemo. The steroids make you put a ton on. I lost about 40 pounds following MFP. My diary is open and you can go back to 2014 to see what I ate. I could only walk, but the weight came off. Best of luck.
  • catherinearchibald
    Options
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Cancer's *kitten*!!! You can guess what three letter word I actually used! Cancer's male donkey would have been more appropriate! :-)
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    Hey, I'm going to throw my thoughts in too.

First up, you grew a whole human being and then kicked cancer's *kitten* so that girl you're complaining about for having a little (or a lot) bit of chub - she's amazing so give her a break woman!

If you're still feeling tired, you're still healing so take it easy and do what you can. You absolutely can self refer to a dietician in the UK and it's probably a good idea for you to do that. I'm not saying that from a weight loss point of view but from a being kind to your body with good nutrition.

I understand that you want your reconstruction - actually, that's a lie. I don't know how you feel so I won't pretend to but bottom line - you're here and with a little patience, self-kindness, gentle exercise and good nutrition, that weight loss will come. Followed quickly by new boobies!

I really hope everything goes well for you x

Thank you Catherine, that made me smile xx
  • LearningToFly13
    Options
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Cancer's *kitten*!!! You can guess what three letter word I actually used! Cancer's male donkey would have been more appropriate! :-)

Haha!! :D:D:D
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I wish you a speedy recovery too. I hope it goes well.

I've been keto for most of the past two and a half years. Very low carb can be a good choice for some. Others prefer simply low carb (under 100-150g of carbs) which may help with keeping blood glucose levels lower too.

I wonder if you have addressed replacing lost electrolytes? If you don't increase sodium to 3000-5000+ mg a day, you may experience an electrolyte imbalance. The most common symptoms of that are headaches, fatigue, brain fog, stomach upset and muscle aches. Some find that it affects sleep too, but some keto'er note that we need a bit less sleep once we've been at it for a while - this is probably too early for that to be the case with you.

Try a bit more sodium. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt so you need about 2 tsp of salt a day. Drinking broth is an easy fix, as is eating a half teaspoon of salt with some water..

If you find no change after increasing salt, I would double check your calories to make sure you are getting enough. If nothing works, try increasing carbs again for a while. Easing into lower carb levels might help you to find your sweet spot.

Good luck.