At Home program for beginning to lift weights?

Options
Good morning all!

I just stared on my journey (10.8lbs lost so far). I cannot get to a gym due to babysitter reasons, but I would like to start lifting to change my body shape. I lost a bunch of weight before I got pregnant, but I just looked like a smaller version of my chubby self! Not that it's bad, but I would like to get more fit. I cannot stand cardio, but know it needs to be done. Any recommendations on programs for lifting weights at home? I have a few weights, but I definitely don't have a dream at home gym.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Look into Bodyweight
    Kavadlo
    Pavel
    You are your own gym(YAYOG)

Or Kettlebell programs
    Pavel/Laurie.
  • laurenmjenkin
    laurenmjenkin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ok u have to mix it up cardio plus weights. Tell u where I started..... no laughing pls, ok u may lol. CDs I found in an op shop.i only had 3.5 kg Dumbbells back then. If u go down this rd get a fuller range than that! I still pull out Denise austins totally firm, Kelly coffees weights and definitions workouts. Laugh all u will ppl, but for home beginner stuff, they're great. Oh if the cd is for u (u tube is option if u have that set up), buy a bunch of them from Amazon or something because after so many years .....but I must say these vids taught me basics. Good luck!
  • laurenmjenkin
    Options
    Meant to add pix workout, u won't laugh, mixed training
  • laurenmjenkin
    Options
    Px sorry 90 and there's more..
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like body weight workouts because they don't require any equipment. Weights kinda worry me with a little one around (totally just my own paranoia). He wants to pick them up like mommy and I fear he will one day drop them on his toe. I have to keep mine hidden away.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for gaining strength Stronglifts 5x5 is really straight forward, though the initial cost can be kind of high: a weight set and a rack high enough for squats is ideal. Walmart has the cheapest weight plates I've found so far!
    Otherwise I agree with Lauren, videos are a great place to start! There are a lot of good options on Youtube for free.
    Tae Bo is pretty fun (for cardio) and will also build strength.
    If you are lifting more the 5-10 lbs you shouldn't need to worry about the little one dropping the weight on his/her foot :smile:
  • HockeyWifey
    HockeyWifey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like body weight workouts because they don't require any equipment. Weights kinda worry me with a little one around (totally just my own paranoia). He wants to pick them up like mommy and I fear he will one day drop them on his toe. I have to keep mine hidden away.

I have read about body resistance training. I am trying to learn more about it because it does interest me. My little man doesn't go into the room where I workout, and I workout after I put him to bed for the night so it lessens the chance of him getting hurt. I have definitely thought about that for sure! He is just under a year old :)

I never thought about YouTube.. I will have to research that
  • GemstoneofHeart
    Options

I have read about body resistance training. I am trying to learn more about it because it does interest me. My little man doesn't go into the room where I workout, and I workout after I put him to bed for the night so it lessens the chance of him getting hurt. I have definitely thought about that for sure! He is just under a year old :)

I never thought about YouTube.. I will have to research that

Check out blogilates on YouTube!!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    For reference, there's very little reason to work out with a dumbbell smaller than your child(at least for the first year or 2)

• GemstoneofHeart
    Options
    For reference, there's very little reason to work out with a dumbbell smaller than your child(at least for the first year or 2)

Maybe for you...
  • HockeyWifey
    HockeyWifey Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Oh goodness! My baby weighs 25 pounds and I promise that wouldn't be good for me first starting out lol :) I would probably drop it on my foot! :wink:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My 'bible' has become Joan Pagano's Strength Training Exercises for Women. Plenty of exercises for different fitness levels and using a variety of equipment. If you don't have everything, look for exercises that work with what you've got. Dumbbells range from 1lb to 12lbs, with most starting around 3lbs for beginner level. Each exercise has three tiers. So, for example, the 'classic' squat with weights levels look like:
    • Level 1: 10 reps, 3lb dumbbells, 1-2 sets
    • Level 2: 12-15 reps, 5-8lb dumbbells, 1-2 sets
    • Level 3: 8-12 reps, 10-12lb dumbbells, 1-3 sets

(After that, I'll either book a session with a personal trainer for advice or ask here. Just because the book stops at 12lbs doesn't mean I do!)

She also includes three full-body workouts (beginner, intermediate, advanced) and four cardio-and-weights interval workouts.

• Whey115
    Whey115 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

My 5yo loves to work out with me as well. I gave him some dry shampoo & hair spray tins to use as weights. Lol
  • Whey115
    Options
    By the way, fitnessblender is also a great site for different types of workouts.
  • Whey115
    Options

I started out with 5lbs for tricep kickbacks and flys and worked my way up. My upper body strength was lacking and I would have risk injury if I started out heavy.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    ChaLean Extreme.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Squat with anything you can carry!! I've done em with paint cans, anything will do. Pushups also highly recommended - don't go on your knees if you can't do a real one, just push up at an incline (like with your hands on a bench)
  • lovetolose17
    lovetolose17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really got into lifting about six months ago. Until then I only had up to 10 pound weights. I had awesome success with trainer Nicole's mommy fit workouts (15 day challenge- I didn't eat the food or drink the shakes). I also love kickboxing. If you get good technique and maintain tension in your arms, you will see more tone.

The gymra workouts on you tube are intense but great. You could also get 30 day shred DVD.

My kids "lift" and do push-ups/burgers/crunches with me (since I do all workouts at home other than running). I love home workouts. Save your money and use YouTube until you figure what you like. :)