Salmon-how do you like to cook it in the oven?

Options
msmith404040
msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
My doctor says I need more Omega 3s, so I bought some salmon. How do you like to cook it in the oven? I have some defrosting now for tonight. I looked for some marinades last night, but they all looked pretty full of calories at a glance.

How do you like to do yours?

Thanks!

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be in the oven? I like mine pan grilled. Use a non stick pan and a tiny amount of olive oil, salt and pepper it, five to seven minutes per side on medium high heat. You shouldn't need to marinade salmon, it's naturally tender and full of flavor.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    What DebLaBounty said. 100%. Steam it in an aluminum foil pouch with dill and lemon, and maybe some garlic.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Google "Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner"--there are tons of options (including from Skinny Taste and Cooking Light)--it's nice to have the fish and veggies cook together--so easy!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We love salmon so typically season it only with some spices rather than a sauce - garlic powder, black pepper and a little cayenne usually.
  • msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your ideas! I can do this :) Appreciate it.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I like to put mustard soy sauce and honey on it and then put it in the oven give is a sweet and tangy glaze YUM
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the oven. fresh dill on top and a low cal marinade. the pepper or tomato one. then I add onions, red peppers and tomatoes on top, a little garlic, so yum, I make it often cause they all gobble it up so fast.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Cajun seasoning, or lemon pepper seasoning, or a splash of soy sauce. Then 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Don't use a frypan, it don't taste the same.. heat oven to 425F, salmon in, for 30 min, done. For seasoning I half way slice it and put slices of garlic in between. Use farm raised salmon, its fattier. The wild caught is much leaner, so cook that 25min instead, or it will be too dry. Wild and farm have slight diff taste, see which one you like.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    In the oven, wrap that baby in tinfoil but add butter garlic and salt and pepper first and let it cook.

I also prefer pan seared...olive oil (or bacon fat) and dredge the salmon in paprika, salt and pepper.
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't use any foil. It's goes in just as it sits in the pic in my above post. It's so fatty it don't need any extra oils during cooking. Now if you are on a keto plan, even a farm raised fat salmon is too lean. It has about 1:1 fat:protein ratio, so you want to have it with oily salad to boost fat.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas! Can't wait for my next salmon dinner!
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm actually cooking some in the oven right now. I put some teriyaki on it. Sometimes I poach it with lemon.
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is rubbing it in some toasted sesame oil and tossing it in McCormicks Maple Smokehouse seasoning and baking it in the oven. Great flavor!

Grill it and finish it by topping it with a basil pesto is good also.

Poaching: In a saute pan add water and white wine about a 50/50 blend and add garlic, green onion, and diced tomato. Put a lid on top and poach until finished.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have this cookbook called Looneyspoons. I love it. They have a recipe called Dillicious Lemon Chicken, but I've used the same recipe for salmon as well.

1 cup low-fat sour cream
    1 tbsp. minced fresh dill
    1 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
    1 tsp. lemon zest
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

Preheat oven to 425 F. Combine sour cream, dill, lemon pepper and lemon zest in a small bowl. Spray a medium casserole dish with non-stick spray. Spoon 1/4 of the lemon-dill sauce over bottom.

Arrange chicken breasts on top in a single layer. Pour remaining sauce over chicken. Spread evenly. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, until chicken is tender and no longer pink.

The cookbook also has a recipe called Happily Marinated Salmon that is really tasty as well.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Broiler on high, for about 12 minutes. You'll have to figure out exactly how high to have the rack, and exactly how long to cook, since it depends a bit on your oven.
    But, you want to get a crust on the top, which you will get because you will brush the fish with a quarter cup of maple syrup/teaspoon cayenne pepper.
    If you want, broil some pineapple slices with it.
  • aguy0980
    aguy0980 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I like to mix (a little soy sauce, brown sugar (splenda or agave to substitute), garlic and ginger. Then I brush that on the salmon and bake it. 400 degrees for about 20 mins.