Where did the motivation go?

I started in mid-January at 248 lbs. By March 25th, I was down to 217. I was eating 1400-1600 calories a day and it was EASY. Eating good for breakfast (greek yogurt before my workout, egg white and turkey after) , lunch was turkey roll-ups or home made vegetable soup with a spinach salad or vegetable confetti,, dinner was any number of lean protein with vegetables. I finished my dinner and the eating stopped. Sure, some nights were tougher than others, but all in all, pretty easy. Then, I got up the next morning and couldn't wait to see how many calories I could burn going on a walk, using the elliptical, or attending a group fitness workout class. THEN....da da duuuummmmm, it happened. I was getting out of my car after a workout and my back just seized up. I could barely stand, sitting wasn't much better and forget laying down. For 3 days I suffered and got almost no sleep. After a visit to the doctor, some Aleve and muscle relaxants, I was told to rest until I felt better. That was 2 1/2 months ago. I have gained back half of the weight I lost. My muscle is disappearing. My cardio fitness has vanished. My will power is absolutely gone. I'm back to fast food at least 1x every day and some days more. I can't stop eating after dinner. IN fact, dinner only serves to stoke the appetite. I have the intention of exercising, but where I used to look forward to working up a good sweat, I don't want to get that sweaty feeling and have to take a shower. I start a walk with the intention of doing my old 5 mile loop with hills and take the turn and come home after 2 miles of flat walking. I haven't said NO to anything I wanted to eat in 2 months. How the hell can I get back on track. For me, the exercise is really important because I don't want that late night food if I know I have a workout the next morning. Then, once I've exercised, I don't want to mess up my day by eating poorly. However, the food part is the most important thing in order to lose the weight I've put back on. I was supposed to be under 200 lbs for my son's wedding in October and now I am hoping I can even get back to where I was in March! Help! Why does my brain not want to engage when it comes to the exercise I used to love. Where did all my will power go? Has anyone else made it through this and got back on track. I was on FIRE at 100 days and now look at me. :(

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    I think your motivation is still there, but you lost momentum. Keep in mind that after a full stop, it takes awhile for the engine to get going at full speed. Just keep doing something every day because time is going to pass regardless.

Try to accept that you are in a different place now, no more comparing yourself to where you were in March.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    sorry this happened to you. Often, I think, when doctors tell us we have to rest, we see that deep inside as the "hallelujah!" we really want, a real, honest, valid excuse to let go.

But you're right, it's important to turn this around; you've only regained part of the weight. Imagine how terrible it would be to regain all of it!

I'd start small. Don't try to talk yourself out of eating what you want; instead, carry water with you and promise yourself that you can still eat it--AFTER you've drunk at least a pint of water. don't worry about the 5-mile walk. Promise yourself you'll walk for 10 minutes, a couple of time a day, and if you want to quit after that, you can. chances are that on one of those walks, you'll keep walking, and then further.

Wear the smaller-size clothes you bought when you lost weight and let them constrict you a little (as long as you're not totally busting out of them). That both makes you less likely to put a lot of food in your stomach, but it also reminds you constantly how great those clothes felt when they fit right.

Promising yourself day after day that you'll totally get back all that good behavior probably isn't going to work. It never did for me. Focus on doing what you can, the behaviors that bring you back to that way of living and that mind set.