Stationary bike logging

Options
Hi. I just got a statinary bike. What is the best way to log my exercise? The bike tells me how many calories burned, but it doesn't exactly match up to the different options under Stationary bike. Thanks!

Replies

• CyclingRoadie6
    CyclingRoadie6 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the bike you are spinning on, and what other data it provides (if any). If all it does is let you know how many calories you approximately burned, you should track how long you were on the bike for as well. That will provide better tracking on MFP, but there are other apps that can provide more data that can be used. The other question is whether you use a HR monitor as well, which will help provide more information.

Not sure if this helps any, but I hope it provides a little more info.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Time and intensity.
  • Tulip9
    Tulip9 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you. The bike measures time, distance, watts, rpm, mph, etc. It has a heart rate monitor on the handlebars.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    The HRM is pretty much useless - at least the ones I've used that have HRMs in the handles are. Watts should be a good indicator of intensity. I would trust the numbers more than MPH which just goes by time and ignores intensity.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Tulip9 wrote: »
    Thank you. The bike measures time, distance, watts, rpm, mph, etc. It has a heart rate monitor on the handlebars.

If it measures watts accurately, you have three gold standard.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    As it's measuring watts then it has the potential to be more accurate than any other method.
    That's your power output and a far better measure of work done than anything else.
  • Werpage
    Werpage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am blind, so cannot see the display on my stationary bike, so do not know whether or not my intensity is measured in watts. Anyway, on MFP, what is the difference between a "vigorous" workout on a stationary bike, and a "moderate one"? I have my resistance knob set up to a 5 out of 9, so I'm wondering how to reflect this in my log?
    Thanks,
    Werpage