Healthy food help

Options
clintonmck99
clintonmck99 Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I am trying to lose weight so is there any healthy foods you suggest?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I second the 'healthy diet' thing. Aim for reaching your protein and fat goals and getting 5+ servings of veggies and fruit and you're good.
  • markgriffiths11
    Options

Healthy foods is not a thing. A healthy diet is made up of a variety of foods, that every day provides you with everything you need, and over time, not too much of anything. No foods are off limits, and no foods should be eaten in excess.

agree 100% with this. Everything is 'healthy/unhealthy' in moderation. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables that you enjoy, choose leaner cuts of meats that you enjoy (if you eat meat), drink plenty of water and include the odd treat (chocolate/cake/alcohol etc) as long as it fits in with your daily calorie intake. Try adding herbs and spices to literally spice things up as it's a great way to healthily improve the taste of foods.

Remember, everything in moderation, just some things in more moderation than others so to speak.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    @clintonmck99
    Some people succeed by cooking at home more than they had in the past.
    If you cook at home, find easy options that fit into your calorie day:
    Some options: Bacon, small pork chops, yogurt, green veggies, broccoli.
    Experiment maybe with cooking veggies: baked, sauteed, broiled, grilled.
    http://dish.allrecipes.com/grilling-101-grilled-vegetables/
    Check out Youtube for recipes.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For more information about what makes up a healthy diet go to https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/

To lose weight, limit calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight so is there any healthy foods you suggest?

It comes down to common sense...see all of those whole foods in the grocery store...those veggies, fruits, legumes, lentils, potatoes, lean proteins, healthy fats? Eat a lot of those...and enjoy some pizza now and then.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    For more information about what makes up a healthy diet go to https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/

To lose weight, limit calories.

Oh yeah, that's a good link.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Greens, beans, and nuts.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Healthy foods is not a thing. A healthy diet is made up of a variety of foods, that every day provides you with everything you need, and over time, not too much of anything. No foods are off limits, and no foods should be eaten in excess.

agree 100% with this. Everything is 'healthy/unhealthy' in moderation. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables that you enjoy, choose leaner cuts of meats that you enjoy (if you eat meat), drink plenty of water and include the odd treat (chocolate/cake/alcohol etc) as long as it fits in with your daily calorie intake. Try adding herbs and spices to literally spice things up as it's a great way to healthily improve the taste of foods.

Remember, everything in moderation, just some things in more moderation than others so to speak.

Disagree. I've never seen a carrot linked to cancer. I have however seen red meat, processed meats, dairy products, etc linked to cancer and/or a variety of other diseases.