Curious - How often....

Options
Just curious, how often do you all add cardio in whilst bulking? Do you drop it completely or reduce significantly from a cut or keep it pretty much the same?

I lift 5x a week, do cardio the other 2 and try to add cardio in twice atleast post workout in the gym on the stair master usually.

What do you do and how often?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of cardio all the time to maintain cardio fitness. I don't like it much, but oh well..

It's usually 20-30 minutes, either on a machine, or at a gym class (boxing or circuits)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My conditioning training actually goes up when I'm bulking. Just means that I have to eat more, and really, the amount burned is so trivial as to be a non-issue. I burn far more from the fact that I can't sit still throughout the day when in a surplus.

3x/week recumbent cycling for recovery.
    3x/week weight vest walks
    2x/week Farmers Walks
    Soon to implement 2x/week weighted hill sprints.
  • Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for 15 minutes every morning then hit the weights. Working on bi ceps and chest todayrb3ifv53ehb7.jpg
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It depends on my bulking calories. If they are too high and I am having trouble keeping up, I drop the cardio. Otherwise I try to do it twice a week.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Awesome! We did arms today and finished with weighted carriage push/pulls. Quite intense! Did stair master yesterday after shoulders. Got spin in the morning at home, gonna do a hill endurance ride I think. Get the legs pumped ready for leg day on Monday!!! :)
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    we're supposed to do cardio? no one told me. :/
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    we're supposed to do cardio? no one told me. :/

Haha no don't have to! I was curious to know if people did cardio in a bulk and how much. I know some people do loads & some very little. I find it interesting knowing what people do different to achieve a similar thing :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any cardio while bulking. It depends on your preferences and goals.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Cardio - among other things - is a tool. So, it can be applied as often or as little as fits your goals.

There are some who suggest that 10 - 15 minutes of Cardio after a particularly intense workout will help to mitigate DOMS (delayed on-set muscle soreness). I did 34 straight days of heavy squats and can attest to that. I did cardio - at a later time than the squats - and I really did not have any issues (except for like days 14 and 15 and 16....if I remember correctly). To be clear, doing the cardio after the heavy squats was specific to mitigating DOMS. But, as I have said 1,001 times - everyone is different.

Generally speaking, I like to do "cardio" for between 6 and 10 minutes before each work out to get my body temp up that 1 degree or so. I also foam roll (OMG - folks, if you do not do that then please look into it.....A M A Z I N G!!!!!! is all I am going to say) before my work outs (after the 10 minutes on the tread mill - yes, I do the old school tread mill). I also do mobility exercises (especially on SQUAT day and on DEAD LIFTS day.....)

But - to your question directly, I do cardio but as a tool to avoid DOMS. Not as a tool for "calories in | calories out" management.
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    Cardio - among other things - is a tool. So, it can be applied as often or as little as fits your goals.

There are some who suggest that 10 - 15 minutes of Cardio after a particularly intense workout will help to mitigate DOMS (delayed on-set muscle soreness). I did 34 straight days of heavy squats and can attest to that. I did cardio - at a later time than the squats - and I really did not have any issues (except for like days 14 and 15 and 16....if I remember correctly). To be clear, doing the cardio after the heavy squats was specific to mitigating DOMS. But, as I have said 1,001 times - everyone is different.

Generally speaking, I like to do "cardio" for between 6 and 10 minutes before each work out to get my body temp up that 1 degree or so. I also foam roll (OMG - folks, if you do not do that then please look into it.....A M A Z I N G!!!!!! is all I am going to say) before my work outs (after the 10 minutes on the tread mill - yes, I do the old school tread mill). I also do mobility exercises (especially on SQUAT day and on DEAD LIFTS day.....)

But - to your question directly, I do cardio but as a tool to avoid DOMS. Not as a tool for "calories in | calories out" management.

I foam roll but not in the gym, I foam roll on a night at home and I lay on it vertical up my spine with arms stretched out to give me a nice neutral spine after hunching forward at my desk. I do cardio mainly because I actually like it, I like to keep cardio-fit but I switch things round. We own a spin bike now so we can do our hiit on there or just a steady ride or some endurance hills etc. We do enjoy running aswell. Also keeping cardio in to reduce the amount of bodyfat I put on during the bulk. But my lifting sessions are my main focus.
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I didn't do any cardio while bulking. It depends on your preferences and goals.

Agreed. I enjoy cardio and don't want to get too out of it. Also keep bodyfat as low as I can during.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a very functional program in place. Hey, if it ain't broke.......

Greetings from the other side of the pond. Keep up the great work.
  • Chrisa0194
    Chrisa0194 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike out of necessity i'd say ~20 miles a week on average. If I didn't have to do that I honestly don't think i'd add it back in.
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »
    Just curious, how often do you all add cardio in whilst bulking? Do you drop it completely or reduce significantly from a cut or keep it pretty much the same?

I lift 5x a week, do cardio the other 2 and try to add cardio in twice atleast post workout in the gym on the stair master usually.

What do you do and how often?

I don't do any cardio besides martial arts 3 times a week. Weight train 5 days a week. Sometime 2x a day. Morning work out and hitting small group muscles 2nd half of day calves and abs