Calories earnt through exercise- can I use them?

Options
I have started going to the gym 3 times a week and trying to walk further on other days to speed up weight loss. I am finding I am feeling hungry now. Can you use the extra calories earnt from exercise or is it best not to? Thank you

Replies

• sammyp40
    sammyp40 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you and well done on an amazing achievement
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's what they're there for. The recommendation is usually to start with eating only 50-75% back, as estimates for calories burned exercising are often a bit over-inflated. Do that for 4-6 weeks then reassess. If you're losing faster than expected, eat more, if you're losing slower, eat less.

NB, just so you are aware, beginning a new exercise regime, or increasing intensity, often leads to some fluid retention. This is for muscle repair, so totally normal and actually a good thing. Just mentioning it so you don't get a shock if your weight stays the same or goes up a little initially. It'll sort itself out :)
  • sammyp40
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I have noticed weight loss slowing down yes. I have started doing a full body weights workout with a bit of cardio at the gym and wondered if this was holding me back. When I just increased steps to 10-15k a day with no gym I lost a lot more...4lb in a week v 0.75lb last week. Wondering if I should just do walking and leave the gym routine until I have lost the weight as it's a bit demotivating! Would welcome your thoughts? Thank you
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't cut out the bodyweight training!! It will help you to retain lean body mass whilst losing, resulting in looking better at the end ;)

Four lbs a week is too much, btw. Slow and steady wins the race (again, because you will lose more lean body mass if your weight loss is too quick). Unless you have a substantial amount to lose (I'm talking over 100 lb) then 1 lb per week should be your goal. It will vary from week to week though, because weight loss isn't linear, and fluid retention (for a whole host or reasons - sodium intake, hormonal fluctuations, changes in exercise) can temporarily maske fat loss. So long as you are trending downwards looking over a number of weeks, it's all good. I highly recommend downloading a trending app for this very reason (trendweight, happy scale and libra are the ones I generally see recommended).
  • sammyp40
    Options
    Ok great thank you , I will stick with what I am doing then