Dealing with chronic foot pain

Options
A few years ago I was diagnosed with sesamioditis, then bunions (my grams had bad feet this was her gift to me bless her heart).

The past few days have been particularly painful to the point I couldn't put much weight on the ball of my foot and I got very little exercise done, just normal getting around was painful.

Today is better with an orthopedic sleeve with a gel insert on my foot and I tied my sneakers good and tight and took a walk to the store to grab what we forgot last night grocery shopping.

Does anyone suffer from chronic foot pain? If so, how to you manage it without popping pills every few hours for the pain? I've got the orthotics, pads, supports, you name it but I was so sidelined from the pain for three days this week, it was the worst it's been in years :s

Replies

• SeptemberRain81
    SeptemberRain81 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Not the same conditions, but constant foot pain. My podiatrist has told me to stop walking - I should swim or do other low impact exercise. I don't have access to a pool nor can afford a gym, and I actually enjoy walking. I've had surgery on both feet, I have the orthotics, supports, etc... most of the time I just have to deal with the pain. It does get very discouraging and very disheartening.
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Mine keeps pushing cortisone injections... yeah, no. I worked for malpractice attorneys for too long and they all advised me against that from the beginning.

I just got myself a bunion splint to wear at night and hopefully that helps.

It's especially annoying right now that I have an event to go to with a super pretty dress... and I may have to wear flats because I'm worried about a horrible flare up if i wear heels for the first time in five years :/
  • SeptemberRain81
    SeptemberRain81 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Between both feet I probably had 12 cortisone injections.

Don't get me wrong, mine are dramatically better after my surgeries, but now my problem is I keep having fractures in the bones across the tops of my feet. No fixing that...I can't stay off of them so I just live with it.
  • dvestal100
    dvestal100 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have severe struggles with foot pain and it has led me to be very sedentary. I have never been sedentary and this has been extremely difficult for me. I have made a commitment to work through it. I have been walking and today after an hour walk I could barely take a step so I decided to rest the remainder of the day. I have started taking amti-inflammatory medication prescribed by a Dr. I am also trying to focus on foods that are anti-inflammatory. The combination of the 2 have helped tremdously. It's easy to let it get us down but we just have to keep trying. I do intend to try swimming as my Dr suggested that too.
  • duvessa87
    duvessa87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also deal with chronic hill pain. Very discouraging and demobilzing. Put 7 kgs on since i had my trauma. I am trying to motivate myself to eat better starting now and slowly find exercises I can do without putting any pressure on my hills:(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’m not an expert in any way and you all have my deepest sympathies. Being able to walk without pain, is, invaluable.

Three modes of exercise come to mind. Swimming, biking (with the proper shoes) and wheelchair sports.