Running/Mapping a run sites (no iphone apps)

Options
I don't have a smart phone and I'm looking for something I can access from my desktop to figure out how far I am running. I tried Map my Run but it doesn't have the park's loop that I add into my run, so it makes my mileage inaccurate.

When I run on the trail, they have a 1.5 mile loop around a man made lake. But when I run in town (to add in over passes for hills) I don't know how to figure out how far I've gone.

What do you use?

Replies

• ellemuise
    ellemuise Posts: 34
    Options
    mapmyrun.com =)., edit sorry just saw you've already tried this=(
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I used both map my run and runkeeper before I had a smartphone. I don't know what you mean by it not having the park loop... can't you just click anywhere and create a route?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you can afford a device other than a phone. I got a Garmin 110 Watch with GPS and HRM chest strap. I wanted to know my mileage when the apps where not available through wifi as well as calories burned on my walks, jogs and hikes.

If you can not get any electronically devices. You could count the blocks 12 equals about a mile. Also you could drive specific routes and always run those.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I use dailymile.com

Doesn't require a smart phone (I don't have one). You have the option to 'follow roads' or not follow roads when planning out your route, so it allows for routes through parks, etc. It utilizes google maps, so you can view the route as a map, as a satelite image, or even street view.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    daily mile is the best for this. You can make it map off road so it will follow the spots you peg on it. Sometimes I walk the parking lot at the high school near my home, well that isn't on any map, but I can use daily mile's satellite feature and 'unfollow roads' feature to do it.
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i don't use anything, and this is probably a rubbish answer, but i am going to give it anyway lol

if its in town, you could use google maps (directions) to give you your route, just add various destinations along your route (road names, as many as you wish) and you can manipulate the route to the one you took,
    will give you a pretty accurate distance in miles or km
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    i don't use anything, and this is probably a rubbish answer, but i am going to give it anyway lol

if its in town, you could use google maps (directions) to give you your route, just add various destinations along your route (road names, as many as you wish) and you can manipulate the route to the one you took,
    will give you a pretty accurate distance in miles or km

That's basically what runningmap.com is.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Garmin Connect is pretty good...I like the calendar feature, as well. I use that for scheduling and mapping and Sport tracks for analysis.

Have fun!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper or geodistance.com on runkeeper you can save your routes, and it will give you a calorie estimate if you put in your time.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    www.walkjogrun.net
    This site uses google maps satellite images. You start at your house and create your own route. It keeps track of distance as you click your route.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I used both map my run and runkeeper before I had a smartphone. I don't know what you mean by it not having the park loop... can't you just click anywhere and create a route?

We have a pony baseball field complex and it has a huge running pathway. I head off the main road and into this park and do the loop before heading back to the YMCA (my son gets watched in their daycare).

Map My Run didn't have the loop there at all.

I will try some of the suggestions on here and see which one I like.

thanks!!
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I use Gmap Pedometer (uses Google's map engine). http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I usually use freemaptools.com because, as long as I can remember the route and relevant waypoints, I can measure the distance, whether on a road or not:
    http://www.freemaptools.com/measure-distance.htm