Hey! Advice...

Options
So I've been using my mfp since January and it has helped me lose weight and kept me motivated! I didn't want to get obsessed with weighing so I never actually knew my weight from when I first started but I've dropped around 2 clothes sizes and estimate losing about 1-2 stone. I'm now trying to maintain this loss (I wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds) and also increase exercise.
I've just started running (only about 15-20 mins two times a week) but it's a start! My question would be: If I continue to increase my exercise would it be ok to increase daily calorie intake? Would I still be able to maintain or even lose more weight? Also what other quick ways to exercise would you recommend for a beginner? (I'm pretty unfit) As a full-time college student as well as having a part time job, I don't have much time!
Thanks

Replies

• gwenparmenter
    gwenparmenter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Fitbit, but their app has some pretty good, easy and quick (7-15 minutes) of exercises that you can follow along with.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I started with bodyweight squats, push-ups (knees to start with) and crunches. There are some good bodyweight videos on YouTube - ten minutes is all you need starting out.
  • FutureDVM2020
    FutureDVM2020 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm no professional but if you want to maintain, on the days you are running/working out you can consume a few more calories. But make them healthy calories! Just monitor what you are eating and what you are burning. A mistake I've made in the past was underestimating my portion sizes and overestimating my exercise... basically not burning as much as I thought I was and eating more than I thought I was. Accuracy is going to be the key.

If you want to continue to lose, I would suggest not increasing calorie intake since you're only running a few days a week. This is the boat I am in. As a college student, I only have the time to work out a few times a week so I have to monitor my calorie intake very closely. I'm not losing as fast as some others, but I am still losing because of the calorie deficit.
  • abicuffyxx
    abicuffyxx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, they're really helpful. I think I'll stick to my normal calorie intake while I'm only exercising lightly and if I increase it, I'll then look to increase my number of calories. And I'll go look at the exercise recommendations!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    abicuffyxx wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies, they're really helpful. I think I'll stick to my normal calorie intake while I'm only exercising lightly and if I increase it, I'll then look to increase my number of calories. And I'll go look at the exercise recommendations!

if the amount of calories you are currently eating lead to weight loss, then you need to eat more than that to maintain.

C25K is a good place to start for running.