How do you remember accurate amounts of things when your logging?

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Super memory at this point, lol! But I always keep random papers in hand to write things down as I go.

Exactly what I do. I don't pre-log, nor I use the cell phone. I am a PC person so I write everything in a paper and I log it when I have the time. Sometimes not until the next day. ;)

Since I am in maintenance accuracy is not longer a requirement; however is not much different of what I did when I was trying to shed few lbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    While I do have a smart phone, I find it faster to write, so I have a little notebook for this purpose.

Also, I rotate through the same breakfasts, lunches, and snacks, and know the quantities of these, so there is little here I need to write down.

Once you get into the habit of noting quantities, I doubt you'll feel it takes much time at all.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I feel like if I were that good at remembering and mentally keeping track of what I'd eaten in a day, I probably wouldn't have gained 30 pounds. So I pre-log. When I can't do that, I long from my phone or computer as soon as possible, or I write it down.

If it's important, you do it. It doesn't take that long.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I logged, I pre-logged most of my days which basically laid out the plan for the day and then would just change things if need be.

Most successes in life are a result of proper planning.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If I am at home, I weigh things to pre-set serving sizes (like 2 oz (56 grams) of sandwich meat, 4 oz (112 grams) ground beef, etc.) Otherwise, I make a note of it and stick it in my pocket.

I am one of those who does not take my phone with me everywhere I go. I do keep a small notebook in my purse so I always have paper and pen.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I log before I eat unless I am at a restaurant that is not in the database. In that case, I snap a photo of my plate before I eat and go back and try to add up each component when I have a free moment. It's not perfect but it's the best I can do.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Write them down. Keep a notebook with you just for this. Doesn't have to be huge. If you can't pre-log, pen and paper work great.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use Google Keep on my phone to write a note. Then log at the end of the day.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I pre log and make my food match what I log.

This. Adding that I use a food scale to measure portions.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    For work each day, I pack my food the night before. And, while I don't pre-log, I usually eat the same amounts each day of most things, which helps me. The couple of things that vary, like my chicken tenders, when I weigh, I just remember--oh, that's 1.25 servings.

I log after I eat. Sometimes, my day gets away from me and I don't eat as planned. I have lots of "portable" emergency food just in case my meetings start to run together and I don't have 10-15 minutes to reheat and eat. If the food sits in my work fridge overnight, I use a post-it note so I don't forget.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I use my memory. If that wasn't so good I'd write it down, as I'm assuming you're not near a smartphone or computer when you eat as you could easily note it down or log it if you were.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If I'm cooking a meal, I'll jot it down as I go, then log after its done and I've figured out portions.

Otherwise I have a good memory and my meals aren't often too complicated. I also tend to do things in like grams (50g carrot, 50g spinach) etc, so its easier.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I usually log food/fluids before I intake them, either using the website if I'm at home or using the MFP app if I'm not.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Log it before you eat it. I have my whole day planned out and logged in the morning (except for not knowing what an unpeeled banana weighs until I peel it).
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't remember. I measure the amount I'm making, and I log it as I prepare it. I have a food scale, measuring cups, etc., and I use them. If I eat out, I split the meal into portions before I start eating (if the meal is more than a single serving - which it usually is) and record based on that.

Where I can, I make it easier for myself to measure by the use of shortcuts, like using small marks on my cereal bowls placed at the 1 and 2 cup levels - it takes some of the tedium out.

But, the main point is taking the whole "remembering" aspect out of the equation. No reception? I put the numbers in my notes app. Phone dead? Write it on paper.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Every morning before I eat anything I log my food for the whole day. I don't really eat based on cravings or spontaneous events.
    I look at my food diary before eating to remind myself what I logged. When I go to eat then I can just eat the amount I already logged.
    Do you carry any devices or pen and paper? You can make notes or take photos to help you remember.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    Sticky notes and prelogging

This!

In fact, when I was on a mission to lose weight in the early days, my husband used to weigh everything for me when he made dinner, and would present me with a plate complete with food and sticky notes.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I prefer to prelog as well, and I make printouts if there's much to do for prep, as I find it quicker to access/track if I have it on the refrigerator.

If prelogging isn't your thing, probably the best thing to do is to have some pre-made portions of foods available/with you if you're on the go, especially if you don't have access to the internet where you're going (work/no service-zone). This applies to both meal-type foods and snacks.

An example for snacking would be to take your "easy snack of choice" and portion it out into containers/baggies and find a couple of accessible places to make them available if you want them. I carry a purse and drive a car, so I have some dry roasted peanuts pre-measured and stowed in each. Depending on the snack type, there may not be an ability to prep ahead more than a day or two (especially if it is not able to be frozen), but for many items it is an option.

What I sometimes like to do for meal-type foods (especially if it's going to be a busy week) is to measure ahead of time and mark portions I've prepared for myself. This can either be in the form of the full meal or individual ingredients. Containers/baggies with 4 oz of pre-cooked chicken tenderloins are an example of an ingredient (for salads/other meals). I have also made full-meal preps ahead of time, used a mason jar (or more if separation is needed) for storage in the refrigerator, and it's either a "crockpot dump" or not too hard to cook up quickly in a skillet. This way it's all measured (often pre-set in my recipes as well). It can be a bit tedious to pre-program recipes, but in the end I find it's worth it for this my family or I like to have at least every once in a while, since it will already be there and waiting after the first time.

If none of these can be adapted to fit your lifestyle, another couple of ideas I just had would be 1) to use an app to note everything right away (I prefer Colornote for lists), or 2) take pictures of anything you have with some sort of consistent measurement comparison (such as a coin) within the picture to help estimate portion sizes. This would be a bit of a learning curve in the beginning, but the payoff after getting used to it would be major flexibility and the ability to go without a schedule of meals (that someone or an event could throw off in a moment).

Best of luck to you on your journey!