Plant Based Fast Food

Options
I want to try going plant based for 30 days. I don't think I can eat like that for life but thought it would be a good kick start for more vegetables and healthy eating that I could try to maintain for a while. The problem is that I don't cook and I eat out A LOT. Does anyone know of a website or good resource that provides a list of plant based options at restaurants? I've tried researching it but am getting confused between plant based, vegan and whole food diets. I guess it doesn't matter too much as long as it's healthy but I really wanted to try to stick to the plant based for 30 days.

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    For eating out, there's an app called HappyCow which should help you find places to eat that have vegan/plant based options, and is worldwide as far as I know :) I tend to just prefer picking my usual favourite places and calling or emailing them ahead to ask what they have available though. Most places are pretty willing to change a few things to suit your needs, even if it's not on the regular menu. If you like Indian food, they usually have a tonne of options available.

As far as the terms go;
    Vegan is a lifestyle that seeks to exclude as much as is possible, all forms of animal exploitation. A lot of people see it as just the food/drink side of things, but it does include other things such as beauty, household products, clothing, entertainment etc and is a lifestyle rather than a diet. Lots of people start out on the food, and transition over time to other areas. If you want to exclude all animal products from your diet for 30 days, I personally would use the word vegan in restaurants (or just say no animal products) as it's more widely understood than plant based and it's less open to interpretation. For example some people have eggs etc on occasion and still say plant based)

Plant based for me is just the term used to describe someone who doesn't eat animal products, but isn't fully into the vegan lifestyle in that they may wear leather for example. It also generally implies a lack of junky/processed type food, although is a bit more subjective since technically a lot of those foods still come from plants.

Whole foods plant based, is a plant based diet focused around whole foods and little to no oils, refined sugars, vegan junk food (oreos) etc. I don't know loads about it, I just don't eat animal products, but that's the basics from what I've gathered.

Hope this helps somewhat, and have fun with your 30 days :)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Fruits, vegetables, tofu and nuts...

Do a google or Yelp search in your area for restaurants that have vegetarian and vegan options. You can always ask them to remove the dairy or to use a soy based dairy if they offer it.

If you're at a regular place like a Red Robin, order a salad and have them remove the meats and cheeses. No ranch or blue cheese or thousand dressing since it's dairy based.

Good luck.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Mexican food seems to be one of the most balanced options for eating plant-based. Japanese establishments have a lot of good options too. Depending on what you have in your area. There are also bound to be good options at DIY salad places. Bagels with tofu cream cheese or hummus.

I don't recommend American places since taking out the meat and cheese out of a sandwich or salad leaves you generally with something sad and unbalanced w/r/t macros, but in a pinch that will work. Some places also have veggie burgers, which will be filling and satisfying.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So I always thought plant-based meant mostly vegetarian but not strictly. Then vegetarian was a no-animal products diet, and vegan was a no-animal products lifestyle. But now it seems plant-based and vegetarian are the same thing, is that correct?
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Mexican food seems to be one of the most balanced options for eating plant-based. Japanese establishments have a lot of good options too. Depending on what you have in your area. There are also bound to be good options at DIY salad places. Bagels with tofu cream cheese or hummus.

I don't recommend American places since taking out the meat and cheese out of a sandwich or salad leaves you generally with something sad and unbalanced w/r/t macros, but in a pinch that will work. Some places also have veggie burgers, which will be filling and satisfying.

I agree, Mexican restaurants have plenty of options. Ask them to hold the cheese and sour cream. Asian restaurants -- Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese/Thai etc. also have plenty of choices. Usually American restaurants will only have a veggie burger or some kind of pasta dish (ask them to hold the cheese).

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I always thought plant-based meant mostly vegetarian but not strictly. Then vegetarian was a no-animal products diet, and vegan was a no-animal products lifestyle. But now it seems plant-based and vegetarian are the same thing, is that correct?

This is what I thought also.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you don't cook and are going plant based I suggest you keep bagged salads on hand and store bought ready meals like the Boca burger.

Hindus have been preparing plant based meals for generations so try Indian.

The challenge for vegans are getting enough protein. So find your protein sources.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

This is what I thought also.

Vegan is an ethical stance so if you don't embrace the whole ethos of veganism then you are plant based.

That's what I thought. I think many confuse plant based and vegan.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Subway, Taco Bell, and Chipotle are all fast food places that either offer animal-free food options or have options that can easily customized to make them animal-free.

From your post, I can't tell if that is what you are looking for. Maybe if you share what "plant-based" means to you and you will get better suggestions. Typically when I see people use it, it means they are looking to have a diet that mostly or completely excludes animal products.