eating out and tracking

Options
zfitgal
zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
Hi everyone!
quick question, when you go out to eat, how do you track? do you guesstimate? if I was to order a grilled chicken salad how would I know how much calories I'm eatineating? how do u guys do it?

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    This is a good guide to read for tracking when you eat out:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10213155/a-guide-to-going-out-to-eat/p1
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    quick question, when you go out to eat, how do you track? do you guesstimate? if I was to order a grilled chicken salad how would I know how much calories I'm eatineating? how do u guys do it?

I eat at a Chinese buffet several times a month. This place doesn't have a menu with calories online. I look up similar items in the MFP database and guess the quantities. Sometimes I use the quick calories for the whole meal (I guess high).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I usually search for similar dishes at other restaurants and pick the highest. Or you can try to deconstruct the meal in your head and log the ingredients, when I do this I always log a TBL of oil or butter in addition to the obvious stuff. The longer you log the easier it gets to guess what and how much was on your plate.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use nearest items from database but often a guestimate; we all have to enjoy ourselves during this process and I don't get hung up over occasional meal out that's roughly logged.
  • Jjrw6788
    Jjrw6788 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Most places that I do eat at have their information on MFP : When I'm trying a new place, I try to compare it to others like it on the database.

On that note : I'm working on not eating out as much and if it's not in the database, I don't eat it.