Somewhat nervous to start back at the gym

I know that sounds really strange. I'm not embarrassed to work out, I'm not shy. I fear failure. I feel like I'm going to just not go, like I've done so many times in the past.

I know I just have to make that commitment. Just go four or five days a week. Just show up. Just do something. I fear those excuses creeping in.

I have to do this. I invested a lot of money into this membership and it's something I need to do.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Maybe you need an actual goal. Saying you want to go 4-5 days per week isn't a very strong goal.

I aim to bench press X amount of weight.
    I aim to run a mile in under X amount of minutes.
    I aim to swim X laps/meters without stopping.
    I aim to ...

If you're working towards a specific and measurable goal you'll actually be able to track your progress and it will keep you on track.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    I started out with a goal of going 3 days a week. Mentally that's about as much as I could commit to at the time. After a few months I found a routine and now go to a gym 9 times a week (some days I do a cardio workout in the morning then do pilates midday). For me, what kept me going was the most awesome zumba class that I just love. Then I got back into doing weights and signed up with a trainer. If you like it you will keep going. No matter what your goal is, if it's not your thing then you'll lose interest. Best of luck.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    I joined a gym for the first time over a year ago. I have health problems, and while I love walking/hiking/jogging outside, we have rough weather -- snow, ice and high humidity. I can go to the gym year round no matter what's happening outside. I can't say I love going, but it's essential and one of the best things I've ever spent money on.

Put aside those feelings of failure. Pack a gym bag the day before. Just go.
  • MzRuthy
    MzRuthy Posts: 434 Member
    I know that sounds really strange. I'm not embarrassed to work out, I'm not shy. I fear failure. I feel like I'm going to just not go, like I've done so many times in the past.

I know I just have to make that commitment. Just go four or five days a week. Just show up. Just do something. I fear those excuses creeping in.

I have to do this. I invested a lot of money into this membership and it's something I need to do.

Make it part of your day. Before work or after work. Always have a bag/water bottle ready to go
    I try to think of going consistently as erosion.....water drips upon a rock enough times the rock will show erosion. Keep going & you can't fail.
    I am telling myself this as well....not for the first time! I've been quite lazy. So to the gym we go!
  • imlightning
    imlightning Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks for your replies. One of my goals is to be able to run a 5k. That's been with me for as long as I can remember.

My second goal is to be able to do pull ups. I just think it would be awesome to be able to do.

Thirdly (and this goal doesn't have much to do with fitness per se), I want to build confidence and do something good for myself. Granted, I have a sneaking suspicion certain individuals close to me will question my newfound interest in this, and chastise the fact I'm spending an hour or so investing in myself as opposed to being there for them.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Well, you won't know until you do it. Maybe your family will be supportive, maybe it will take a while for them to get on board, maybe they will whine once in awhile. You just need to show them that it's a priority for you. It's really not taking anything away from anyone when you show them how to be disciplined and reach your goals. If "being there for them" is sitting on the couch watching TV, they can certainly do that without you for an hour or two!