How do you burn fat?

Options
I'm a naturally muscular person. It's in my genes (Thank goodness!) I haven't worked out in 6 months or so and I just started walking/running on the treadmill for 45 minutes a day. I'm doing intervals so walk, run, walk, run. I'm nervous to do any strength training because I will really bulk up muscle wise. I just want to lose fat at this point. What exercises do you recommend that can help with this? Or maybe this is more related to diet? I don't really know so any answers are appreciated. Thanks all!

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Anything Cardio.
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    eat healthy w/in your alloted cals-but dont go under 1200! and burn those cals! make sure your hr is in at least ur fat burning zone(55% of mhr i think) lotsa water. follow the guidlines of this site and u should b good 2 go!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Also adjust your fat & sugar intake & up your protein: I also bulk up quick, but if you're doing mostly cardio-type workouts (you mite want to do some lite weights, like 3-5lbs dumbells to tone) you'll lose fat.
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    Options
    Strength train- it burns more calories (and keeps burning them for hours after) than cardio. Don't skip the weights, they won't bulk you up. Just don't take steroids, and you'll be just fine!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Pick the weights up. Muscle buns fat. You will NOT bulk up. If you are naturally muscular, so much the better. I am, too, and even though I can put on a little muscle, it's a little. It looks good. GO FOR IT. Embrace your muscles knowing you're NOT going to end up looking like a barbarian.
  • Charliebb
    Charliebb Posts: 4
    Options
    Have you looked at Callanetics.com
    Some of the benefits seen by Callanetics:

Tight, lifted firm buttocks
    Flatter toned abs
    Long lean legs with awesome muscle definition
    Lean, sculpted arms
    Youthful neckline
    Stronger pelvic floor
    Increased sex drive and stronger orgasms
    Increased flexibility
    Increased strength
    Restore youthful alignment and posture
    Feel full of energy, vitality and empowered. There's nothing like Callanetics to safely tone and shape the body.

Callanetics is safe for everyone regardless of age and fitness level. It's particularly beneficial and safe for people with back, neck and knee issues.
  • ElmFive10
    ElmFive10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :happy:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've actually gotten smaller by lifting weights, and I lift quite heavy (I use 15-30 pound dumbbells). And tis true...muscle burns fat, boosts your metabolism, and makes you a calorie burning machine!!
  • Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    You should check out pilates too. It is great for full body strength training withough the weight lifting.