Outdoor exercise

Options
Anyone go running or walking outdoors? I am no but with winter coming I'm curious what tricks everyone has to continue to walk and run outside without being stuck inside on treadmill????

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,165 Member
    Options
    I walk, cycle, hike, canoe ... and occasionally jog and swim outside.

When I lived in Canada, I could cycle and walk year round and also cross country ski and snow shoe.

In Australia I can only do the winter sports once or twice a year but i can do more cycling.

If the weather is really bad we will go to the gym ... and this past winter I've been doing a spinning class on Mondays.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Three is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clather.
    I walk, run, cycle etc in most weathers. I have good rain gear and plenty or warm Odlo/Craft thermal underwear and am not afraid to get wet or cold even. Layering will do the trick in many many cases.
    When cold a hot shower/bath will take care of that Only when the weather turns dangerous I will stay in with a you tube video.
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just stick on a headtorch and go run. And an extra layer if necessary. Very simple.
  • Bluebell2325
    Options
    Plus arm warmers are a great invention. Rip them off and stick them in a pocket / knicker elastic once you get too hot.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Take a big breath and just get going: I soon warm up enough. Occassionally I will wear a long sleeved top, rarely long sleeved bottoms. If it is really horrendous out I will do another activity. But the UK weather rarely gets super terrible
  • activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I guess the question is which wet weather gear should I get? Poncho? Windbreakers?

I've got no clue.. new to this and I want to continue into winter. Gym isn't an option since I do in am before daughter wakes up and husband is gone already.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to prep for rain or cold/snow?

I work outside almost exclusively for runs -- the exceptions being rain (because nope nope nope), dangerous heat indexes (like, 90+), or extreme cold (under 20). I hate running in rain, so don't force myself to do that. On rainy days, I'll either go to barre instead, or suck up and do the treadmill for 30 or 45 minutes.

For winter runs, I have Polartec tights, a slim hoodie, a wool base layer, wool beanie, gloves, etc. I wear more or less depending on how cold it is. If it's under 40, I start piling on the layers. Above, not so much.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I golf as long as it is above freezing....hitting a frozen golf ball hurts. It is liking hitting rocks. Other than that I walk and sometimes hike. Dry wick clothing, warm layers that you can peel off and you should be good to go. I do carry hand warmers and very warms socks. I dreaded the colder weather but it is actually exhilarating once you get started. Good luck.
  • activities1
    Options
    Ya I run/walk daily now and want to continue when it starts to rain
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you wont melt if you get wet...
  • Bluebell2325
    Options
    You only get wet once. Something that doesn't get rubby and dries quickly is good. To be honest I never wear too much in the rain, as wet stuff is heavy and ends up slapping you.
  • Bluebell2325
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Running in the rain is very liberating (until the sweat gets washed into your eyes and under your contact lenses). I live in Cumbria UK, and I can easily see all 4 seasons in one day. My problem is I overheat easily so thin layers I can strip off and fold down to nothing (like the arm warmers) are ideal for me. Same with the wind, you wear too many clothes they puff up like a parachute and stop you getting anywhere. The worst is hailstones, but I have sunglasses with changeable lenses so I can put clear ones in and wear them as eye protection in the wind and hail. What weather are you expecting?
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    OK, you're in California ...

I'm guessing it doesn't actually get all that cold there ... not likely below freezing. You'll just have a bit of rain.

Go to your local REI: https://www.rei.com/ or similar, and ask the friendly helpful staff about waterproof breathable jackets for walking/running/cycling.

Personally, I like jackets with long pit-zips for extra airflow, and for that you might have to check the cycling collection.

Then go with polypro for warmth ... and/or perhaps another long-sleeved cycling or running jersey.

I like merino too, but tend to use it as a mid-layer, not a base layer.

• Bluebell2325
    edited September 2017
    Options
    k2sco5dgbth7.jpeg
    I also love my 360* reflective (not just hi-viz) running jacket, fantastic piece of kit if you're out after dark (this is me in the dark with my head torch on).
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I think Runner's World has a dress for your run thing on their site/app... but basically mentally add 10 degrees to the temp outside and dress for that if running. (If walking, you might need an extra light layer??) After running for 5-10 min even at 20 degrees (even C25K past week 2, for me!), I warm up so I wear: UA Cold Gear tights/leggings, wool running socks, a wicking tank & long sleeve wicking top. I wear a beanie & light gloves and a fleece (w a shell/windbreaker if cold & wet).
    When it's like 50: Capri leggings & wicking top.
    50-70: capris & tank
    Over 70: shorts come out (I don't really like wearing running shorts!)
    In the rain: grab a baseball cap so you can keep some rain off your face & a good quality evaporative rain jacket (I like NF brand for this; you might just got hotter than you think & end up wrapping around your waist, though).
    Running Shoes: helps if you can afford 2 pairs(don't use the wet ones!)- or a seperate pair that is waterproof (trail running shoes).
    Don't run on ice!
  • Machka9
    Options
    k2sco5dgbth7.jpeg
    I also love my 360* reflective (not just hi-viz) running jacket, fantastic piece of kit if you're out after dark (this is me in the dark with my head torch on).

What is the brand name of that jacket? I saw someone recently (on a cycling event) with something similar to that.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If you can spare the money, the gear will be worth your investment! If you buy cheaper stuff & get clammy or overheated, you won't enjoy your workouts... I speak from experience :-)
  • activities1
    Options

you wont melt if you get wet...

I just might! No.. my worry isn't that. I just don't want to be soaking wet and not enjoying the run or getting a cold because I'm not being prepared correctly when outside.

Yes I'm in California and it doesn't get real cold just some wind and then rain, that's it.
    Thank you all so far for the helpful info!
  • Bluebell2325
    Options
    I originally went for pro-viz, which is quite an expensive brand, but the fit and quality was very poor for the money. This is a Mountain Warehouse one, a third of the prices much better fit but isn't great ventilation wise. But I overheat very easily any ways so maybe it's me!! Highly recommend it, you can't see it yourself when your running, so it doesn't glare, but car drivers can see it very very clearly.