Writing a novel with a 14-year-old protagonist. Looking for age-appropriate strength-training

Options
estherdragonbat
estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
Like the thread title says. Context: It's speculative fiction. Basically our world, but including costumed heroes with or without superpowers. My main character is attending a school that exists for two purposes: 1) Train teenagers who are/plan to become costumed heroes 2) Train teenagers whose lives and safety are frequently endangered because being the best friend of a costumed hero may well be hazardous to your health. (Imagine if Hogwarts had a track for squibs and the friends and families of Muggle-born wizards so that, in case of Dark Wizard attack, they could do something other than hide and wait for rescue.)

So, my main character is a 14-year-old girl with no superpowers. She's had basic PE in school and enjoys hiking and rock climbing, but she's not particularly athletic. It's her second semester and she's about to start strength training. According to https://www.issaonline.edu/blog/index.cfm/kids-and-strength-training-when-can-they-start, she's not too young to do so.

She started working with kettlebells during her first semester to help her with pull-ups. She's been at it for two months (and I don't know what weight would be realistic for her to have started with and progressed to in that amount of time. I've said that she's gone from 6lbs to 10, but this is more 'placeholder' info until I've confirmed whether this is believable.)

So, assuming that she has an instructor who knows what they're doing and has worked extensively with teens, what sort of exercises/weights is it believable that she could handle initially and how far might she progress in 5-6 months?

I'll add that this character has no interest in training to wear a costume. She just wants to survive having a best friend who does. That doesn't alter the fact that the more training she gets, the better her odds.

Thanks!

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Well, pull ups are basically the last thing that you learn how to do or are able to do...especially if you are female. Women just don't have the muscle mass in the arms to do them easily. I can do them now, but I never could as a teen.

I started lifting around age 13 because I was a thrower (disk, shotput) in track and field. I had to get to school at 6AM and share the tiny, dank, cinderblock weight room with all of the football dudes and the ONE other girl who was strong enough and good enough to need to lift. Then I had track (or volleyball, baskeball) practice after school.

I don't really remember much about how I was taught. I think that my coach showed me how each machine generally worked, pointed out where I needed to focus and then set me free to do my own thing. There was a circuit of sorts and I alternated legs and arms.

I have a minor back problem and have never been allowed to lift free weights for that reason, so someone using those might have had a very different experience.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    So if she is trying to "survive" having a super hero best friend...wouldn't combat type training be appropriate?

I'm envisioning a 14 year old girl working with the "stereotypical" grisled old Marine (but with a heart of gold). Kettle bells seem kind of pedestrian.
  • estherdragonbat
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yes, she's learning hapkido, too. I'm sort of taking the New York School of the Arts model: full academic curriculum plus specialized classes. Instead of music, drama, etc., it's more like minimum one martial art or weapon, intense PE and strength training. It's her first year and she's not entirely sure of her interests and aptitudes. Her academic advisor suggested she try hapkido. She went along with it and found it a good fit.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Checking her smartphone like 500 days a day.
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at 10 because my brother who was 5 years older than me needed someone to spot him, and it was convenient for him for me to lift. I hated it at first, but by the time I was in 7 grade, I was significantly stronger than my classmates (I was also an early bloomer and have been 5'7" since 6th grade).
    I also threw shot and disc, and we did basic free lifts (bench, squat and deadlift) with a few machines (that the school could afford: leg press, leg curls, leg extension, neck extension, back extension).

I can add that my daughter is in third grade, and they are doing presidential fitness testing. Push-ups and sit-ups are the strength indicators. They also test for running and flexibility.
    Good luck! I hope your story comes together well!
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    Thank you!