Problems breathing during back exercises

Options
Hey,

So whenever I try to do back exercises like swimmers, supermans etc. on the floor, or whenever I try to do back bends when stretching/during yoga, I very often experience that I can't breathe. I have anxiety and the feeling is very similar to the beginning of a panic attack for me (and can trigger one), so I guess that might be connected.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? And does anyone have any tips as to how one might try to combat this problem? Inb4 "just don't do those exercises then": I'm also looking for alternative back exercises that I can do at home.

Thanks!

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Not quite like what you are describing but I do notice if I do bend backwards I sometimes realize I am holding my breath and then let it out, I realize my lungs can't fully expand in that position so I feel out of breath. Which is easily fixed by relaxing the pose and breathing normally. I am not sure about the connection to anxiety, but I would actually suggest focusing on your breathing more throughout your yoga and stretching routines- if you are doing this with an instructor/video, I highly recommend really paying attention when they say to breathe. Also remember that stretching and yoga poses are something that people build towards with practice- do what is comfortable for you for as long as you can and don't feel like you have to hold any position to the point it is making you uncomfortable.

I am a former swimmer so controlling my breathing while exercising is weird for me, I always find myself holding my breath when I really shouldn't be. I think it is because I am used to trying not to breathe lol. I constantly have to remind myself to breathe normally.

Also-if you are struggling with anxiety and feel it is affecting daily activities like exercise, however, you may want to talk to a professional about it. It sounds like you might already, but just in case.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    To a certain extend breathlessness during workouts is normal. It should never go so far as to cause panic though.

Please check if the breathlessness is caused by
    a) Hyperventilation: (You are breathing fast and flat, panting) In this case simply try to slow down breathing during workouts. http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/breathing-during-exercise

b) Dyspnea: (You breathe adequately slow and regular, but nevertheless can't get enough air in) In this case see a physician immediately.