Getting used to skipping breakfast

Options
I'm always hungry in the morning, but savory food just doesn't appeal to me at all anymore then... so instead of just eating empty carbs and still be hungry after 500 calories, I've started skipping breakfast and end up eating around 11am. It makes the rest of the day MUCH easier, but, well, I'm hungry, and I exercise in the morning so it's not really ideal...

The question is - if you started skipping breakfast, did you stop being hungry at some point? I typically don't eat later than 7pm at night, so it's a pretty long time without food. It's easier for me to ignore hunger in the morning, but it would be easier if I'd just get used to it...

Replies

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat breakfast. I have two cups of coffee and that's it.
    Occasionally I'm hungry, but like you said, I prefer to ignore it and leave myself more calories for dinner time.
    I'd say after a few weeks I got used to it and wasn't looking for food in the morning.
    If you don't want savory in the morning but want to eat, what about some kind of protein pancakes or overnight oats or even just a banana?
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Low calorie drink helps me make it to my 11:30 PM lunch break. I like the Crystal Light packets.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    I almost never eat breakfast. I have two cups of coffee and that's it.
    Occasionally I'm hungry, but like you said, I prefer to ignore it and leave myself more calories for dinner time.
    I'd say after a few weeks I got used to it and wasn't looking for food in the morning.
    If you don't want savory in the morning but want to eat, what about some kind of protein pancakes or overnight oats or even just a banana?

The problem is that pretty often, I just keep eating because I don't feel satisfied. 600+ calories later and I'm still not satisfied and still hungry by 11am :(

I'm usually up by 6.30am.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you compensating by eating more for your other meals? If you're eating the same amount of calories as before, you "shouldn't" be appreciably more hungry, but if you are, you'll just have to shuffle your calories again.

Are you sure there's no middle ground between savory and empty carbs? I like things like porridge (made with milk and water, with butter, no added sugar), or sandwiches and milk, and always fruit and vegs. I eat breakfast maybe around 9-10, lunch 12-13, dinner 16-17, and I'm hungry before all meals but it's easy to wait. (I used to have a fourth meal after dinner, but around a year ago, I started to not have room for it anymore, fullness from dinner just wouldn't go away, I didn't have time for more before it was bedtime.)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't need to be 500 cal or savory.

How about an omelette with 2-3 egg whites, some sweetener, cinnamon and berries or even half a banana. Under 100 cal and it is sweet..and you won't need to go hungry!

Or a sweet vanilla parfait made of oatbran, chia seeds, fruit and sweetener?

(I know it doesn't answer your question but it is a different perspective)

Sorry but... ew. I can't stomach the idea of eggs in the morning, and egg whites... just yuck.

I've done the yogurt parfait route too, but I don't feel satisfied and it just seems to boost my appetite. Really, unless it's the week after my period and I'm not hungry, I'm never satisfied with less than 400 calories.
    Are you compensating by eating more for your other meals? If you're eating the same amount of calories as before, you "shouldn't" be appreciably more hungry, but if you are, you'll just have to shuffle your calories again.

Are you sure there's no middle ground between savory and empty carbs? I like things like porridge (made with milk and water, with butter, no added sugar), or sandwiches and milk, and always fruit and vegs. I eat breakfast maybe around 9-10, lunch 12-13, dinner 16-17, and I'm hungry before all meals but it's easy to wait. (I used to have a fourth meal after dinner, but around a year ago, I started to not have room for it anymore, fullness from dinner just wouldn't go away, I didn't have time for more before it was bedtime.)

Yeah I'm eating more with my other meals, but now it's much easier to stick to my goal (which is pretty high, I'm very active and I have a small deficit, so it's not uncommon for me to be able to eat 2100 calories to lose).
  • Kwoconnor
    Kwoconnor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a berocca and creatine powder before I work out at the gym in the morning but then I wont eat any food until at least 12pm. It certainly makes managing my calories for the day a whole lot easier.

And yes, I stopped feeling hungry in the morning very quickly... In saying that though I do drink water and black Nespresso coffee (maybe 2).
  • Francl27
    Options
    I usually have two cups of black coffee in the morning.
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. Haven't for years now. I usually get up at 5:40 Am,and eat lunch around 12:30. Supper used to be around 5:00 but my new job pushes that off till 7:00 or so. As for getting used to it I can't really give any advice except for drinking water and eating an early lunch might help for you.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I always ate breakfast but just got busy in the mornings and would eat 90 cal fiber bar and coffee.. then eat lunch at noon.. somedays i would go to a am body combat time and still ate at noon. i honestly wasnt hungry.. but then i started craving donuts a few days a week and giving in or getting other snacks. i realize i have created a bad habit and working on having a small breakfast. while skipping breakfast may work for some it didnt me.. i feel yucky about most breakfast foods at home.. give me a donut or something great from a restursnt and i can eat no problem.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast and I'm hardly ever hungry in the morning, but I eat a substantial snack before bed. So I guess I just have shifted my meals. Instead of breakfast lunch dinner, I do lunch dinner snack.

I usually eat lunch between 11:30 and 1:30, dinner between 4:30-6:30, snack around 7 or 8. Usually go to bed around 10.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry in the morning, eat. It doesn't have to be savory. Fruit, yogurt, protein shake, Ezikiel muffin with almond butter, cottage cheese with berries. Lots of great options.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I feel like crap if I don't eat something in the morning. Often it's a couple poached eggs on toast. Sometimes it's a piece of toast and butter, and cantaloupe with blueberries. Sometimes I've even reached for a banana and peanut butter. If I don't have that fuel, especially before a workout, I am absolutely ravenous later. Not to mention grouchy.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I eat mine around 10-11am as that's usually when I get hungry. If I'm hungry after my cup of tea first thing then I'll eat sooner. No sense in torturing yourself by skipping it if you are hungry!
  • Mccloud74
    Mccloud74 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I can't stomach food in the morning, usually hold off till about 11am. But by then I've normally had a cup of coffee & a litre of water.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I usually wake up hungry, but can ignore the hunger until I eat. Once I eat I feel like I just want to keep eating..i make do on a couple of coffees.