Juicing vs Blending

Options
run2bfree
run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
I am trying to help my husband get better with his nutrition. I started to think that maybe juicing would be good for him. He is the only vegetarian I know who hates veggies! WTH? Ok keep in mind, he's 5'10; 156lbs and is a lean, fast, elite duathlete (run. bike, run)... He eats LOTS of processed Morning Star products, TONS of Cheerios, bean burritos and well some fruit. Unless I sneak it into lunch/dinner – he doesn't touch the veggies… so I am thinking a juicer will hook him up. But then I started to wonder what is the difference between a blender and juicer nutritionally? Does it matter if the pulp is there? At the end of the day, won’t you still get the same nutritional value if you blend versus juice?

Anyone?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    no idea about juicing vs blending (except 1. it probably doesn't matter, and 2. if he won't eat them, i doubt if he'll drink them) but i wanna know if we can legit call your hubby a vegetarian if he doesn't eat vegetables? seems like false advertising to me.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    juicing removes the fiber which he might want since he apparently doesn't eat anything
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are great and MUCH less prepwork/cleanup. Plus, you can make a decent smoothie in a $30 blender, whereas a juicer can run upwards of $150 before you get one that actually works well. Green smoothies are quite popular and taste fantastic. There are recipes all over the place.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hated vegetables but knew I needed to eat them. Juicing was the answer. I could hold my nose, drink fast, and get them done for the day. It didn't take long but I developed a taste for veggies and now actually like them. If he's not willing to really try, don't spend the money on a good juicer, try with a blender first.

As for fiber loss in juicing, it's true, but there are many ways to get more than enough fiber. Or leave the extra screen off the juicer to keep some.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I love my NutriBullet smoothies! I even got my hubby to liking a chocolate protein shake and he doesn't know its good for him :tongue: LOL I use an chocolate hemp protein powder, his favorite milk (he'll even use my almond milk on occasion), and let him see me put in chocolate syrup and a banana (VERY ripe :wink: ). He says it tastes like a chocolate Mc D's shake (I am dairy, gluten and banana allergic so I can't vouch for that but if he drinks it, I'm not going to disagree! LOL).

Blending, to me personally, is better for the fiber content.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I prefer blending to juicing because I like getting the whole veggie/green/fruit in the mix. I find that blended smoothies are more filling and I like that I get a lot more smoothie for a lot less veggie when blending.

But the hubby prefers juices to blended smoothies because he doesn't like the thicker texture of the smoothies.

And I do use the smoothies and/or juices as a way to get veggies in him. I always try to lean heavy on the greens/veggies and use only enough fruit to sweeten it, without adding a lot of the extra sugar and carbs. He drinks them happily and willingly, despite being hesitant at first.