Exercise with an incisional hernia?

Options
Hello.

I had a repeat c section on August 10th. Due to restrictions placed during my pregnancy I wasn't allowed to workout during my pregnancy. Pre pregnancy I was doing progressive lifting and some cardio and HIIT + yoga a few times a week. Working out basically helped a lot with anxiety and depression that I am prone to getting. It made me love my body while I was working on fat loss and I slept better.

I was SO excited to get back to working out, even with having to build back up to what I was doing pre pregnancy. However (im a month post op) it turns out I have an incisional hernia that I will have to under go surgery for.

I didn't have time to ask my OB many questions as she was called out of office to do emergency surgery. The issue is due to the city I am in, it can take AGES to get the surgery done, unless it is growing or poses other risks it could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months until its repaired.

I plan to ask her more when I see her in a few days. But I'm wondering for anyone who has had a hernia (incisional or other wise) what kinds of restrictions were placed on you for working out? I know it likely depends on many factors but I'm just wondering what I'd be looking at. I assume I will be okay walking or maybe other low impact cardio but I can't see lifting or any ab focused movements being on the table.

I am gutted over this. I know its important to heal and heal correctly, so I won't be doing anything that I'm not allowed to. I know I can still lose the rest of my weight without working out and that its silly to be so upset over it but thats how I feel right now.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    An incisional hernia is your insides popping out of surgical incision. Doesn't seem like a good idea to exercise, does it? Walking yes, maybe light yoga, but nothing that's going to stress that area. Perhaps you can call the nurse and she can help you get an answer.