Do you all stop eating after a certain time?

I know some people say they won't eat or snack after 7:00 PM. What do other people do? Is there benefit to doing this when it comes to losing weight or health in general?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Timing doesn't matter for weight loss, but for me I need to stop eating a couple of hours before bedtime or I can't sleep. Better sleep leads to better health :)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Doesn't matter for weight loss, may matter for other things. I just had a protein shake at 10:42 PM after a long run because I like to as a cap to my calories on the day. I've been losing according to my calorie deficit to the decimal point.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    Yeah, like AnvilHead, I stop before falling asleep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BeachBaby_81
    BeachBaby_81 Posts: 62 Member
    No. I'd assume as long as you're not following intermittent fasting times, timing doesn't matter.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I stop eating when I've had my dessert. Bed is normally 30mins-1hr later.... Makes no difference to my sleep, neither does the coffee I drink at the same time
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    I try to stop eating at least an hour before I go to bed, but just because I feel it makes me fall asleep more comfortable than when I feel stuffed. But that is not any fixed thing, I usually do it, but I don't take too much effort to do it. If it does not work out, it just doesn't.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    edited September 2017
    Nope, I've tried it both ways, doesn't make a difference as far as weight loss goes
  • I get snacky in the evenings and could easily eat as many kilojoules as a snack as I do for dinner. It's easier for me to just not eat after a certain time. I usually have a small snack before that time and then I know I can't have anything else. It also helps me sleep better if I haven't eaten too much to close to bedtime.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,449 Member
    Do you all stop eating after a certain time?

Yes ... I stop eating before I go to bed ... don't like crumbs in bed. That would be anywhere from midnight to 1 am.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited September 2017
    I aim not to eat much after 7 pm but thats because I've generally eaten all my calories by then! Its all a matter of preference and finding what works for you, the timing doesn't matter.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    I stop eating after I close my food diary for the day lol

Last night that was at around 7.30pm. I find that if I don't, I'll keep picking right up until I go to sleep and probably blow my allowance as a result!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    I usually eat dinner between 2pm-6pm and stop eating after that. The benefits for me are calorie control and I wake up energetic (from deeper ketosis I think) and ready to start my day. It just feels good and healthy to stop eating early for whatever reason.

Studies around the circadian rhythm is what you want to research if you're interested in any potential health benefits. Bill Lagakos from Calories Proper blogs about the topic frequently if you're interested:

For weightloss, personally, it never mattered. I lost a lot of weight putting off eating as long as possible so I could eat all night long, right up until I went to bed without going over my calories. At the time, it felt like that was the only way I could manage my hunger and I was healthier for losing weight.