Tips to stick with it

Options
I seem to be forever in a pattern of 'starting again tomorrow'. I know what I need to do diet wise. I have successfully lost weight using MFP in the past (but gained some back). So I know I can do it. I've gone back to eating as I was when I last lost weight a few years ago now, yet I fall off the wagon a few days into it.

Please share your tips if you've been in a similar situation and turned things around.

What worked for you?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Find a way of eating you can stick to. Do you restrict yourself a lot when you're trying to lose weight?

The biggest change I have made is educating myself about how weight loss actually works and realising it doesn't need to be a miserable process.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Not being too restrictive on calories I found was the best way to stick at it. Losing more slowly without feeling deprived is what made my weight loss happen - I've been able to keep the weight off for more than 4 years now.
    e.g I would never have been able to stick with 1200 calories e.g but 1500 was completely doable.

Moving more also helps create a bit more of that calorie deficit alongside giving us a general feeling of well being and confidence/energy.

When hunger pangs kick in drink water or if that wont cut it I find something like a slimline tonic water really staves off the hunger until the next meal.

Knowing that some foods are calorie dense but not filling also helps. If we make better food choices we feel fuller for longer.

There's nothing wrong with fitting chocolate or whatever treat into your daily calories, having a little bit of what you fancy means you don't feel deprived.

When I found MFP back in 2012 I knew things had to be different if I was going to lose weight and keep it off for good. I never felt I was on a 'diet' - I was and still am calorie aware, that's a good thing! and I knew if I moved more I could earn some more calories if I wanted them.

You have to really want to lose weight or you will never make the effort required to do so. But you will be so glad when you achieve it :smile:

All the best.

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of experimenting with your calories. If you feel like you're going to fall off the wagon then select a slower rate of loss or eat at maintenance for a while until it passes. No point in going back to old habits if you slip up. Pick yourself up and try again.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the thing that's worked for me have been two methods:

1. Losing weight slowly (.5lb per week) in order to enjoy the foods I like a little more. Although even then I'd tend to over do it over the weekend so after a while it stopped working and I was just spinning my wheels.
    2. Cut and bulk cycles. Currently on a 12 week cut. For me, knowing there is an end to this sooner rather than later has been such a game changer. I only have to suffer (ok exaggerating but still) for 12 weeks! I can do that! But this does come in line with my goals so not sure if this is something that will work for you.

In the end, this won't work unless you want it bad enough. Dedication > motivation.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Things that worked for me:

Focusing on overall health of which weight is just one component
    Not being in a hurry (small deficit, slow but steady weight loss)
    Not beating myself up when I go off plan for a day (or several days)
    Keeping the bigger picture in mind.