No Tomatoes!

Options
TavistockToad
TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
Pals!

I need ideas for sauces that aren't tomato based.

On a normal week i will make chilli or bolognese or lasagne... all of which are out when i cant use tomatoes, so i'm after ideas for what i can make instead?

Tonight I'm using green pesto stirred into pasta, and i can go for milk/cream based sauces for carbonara type things, but that's all i have come up with so far...

any ideas or recipes would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Piccata sauce! I love lemon and capers and it's so easy to throw together. Also balsamic browned butter sauce with a little soy sauce makes a most excellent dressing for veg.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Piccata sauce! I love lemon and capers and it's so easy to throw together. Also balsamic browned butter sauce with a little soy sauce makes a most excellent dressing for veg.

sounds good, thanks!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms in white wine.
    Cook carrots and/or butternut squash and garlic in stock then puree
    sautee shrimp or clams in white wine, then stir in a wedge or two of laughing cow (or a dollop cream cheese)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Mushrooms in white wine.
    Cook carrots and/or butternut squash and garlic in stock then puree
    sautee shrimp or clams in white wine, then stir in a wedge or two of laughing cow (or a dollop cream cheese)

someone else mentioned puree butternut squash, so i think that might be a winner with chicken.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    any ideas that would go well with minced beef would be appreciated!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Pureed roasted red peppers can be substituted for tomatoes in many sauces.
    Mushrooms and beef go well together
  • TavistockToad
    Options

roast them and then blend?
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

A sort of gravy is nice with minced beef. I use flour, butter, and beef stock, then add a little milk to it and any spices you might like (bay leaves are nice, so is black pepper) and I usually add plenty of chopped up mushrooms as well (I usually cook those with the beef and then add the cooked beef and mushrooms to the gravy later).

Editing to add: Toasting the flour beforehand gives a really nice, nutty flavor to the sauce. Basically putting the flour at the bottom of the pot on medium heat and stirring it a bit until it turns a nice brick red sort of color.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yes. Or puree some to get the saucy texture and leave a few whole or diced to add a more rustic texture.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Pureed carrot and courgette with chilli and garlic is pretty nice I whack it all in the food processor and add water till I get the right consistency. Then heat it through in a pan on low heat.

Avocado Carbonara is quite nice (there's loads of recipes on pinterest for it).

Mushroom soup also makes quite a tasty sauce for chicken.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Peanut sauce
    Lemon sauce
    Hummus pasta sauce
    Cheese sauce
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/496/side-dish/sauces-and-condiments/sauces/pasta-sauces/

Noodles with sauerkraut
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Yes. Or puree some to get the saucy texture and leave a few whole or diced to add a more rustic texture.

I think I'm going to have to turn into one of those people who meal preps on a Sunday so I have pots of sauce in the freezer to use!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks everyone!!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I can't eat tomatoes much either. I say "much," because I can occasionally sneak in some without pain but most of the time I avoid them totally. I "cook around" them by using other things. I do a lot with red peppers as a substitute and have some recipes online at another site. Here are links to some of the recipes I've come up with that would usually have tomatoes but don't:
    Gumbo -- https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/soup/other-soup/smoked-turkey-andouille-gumbo-no.html
    Bolognese -- https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/other-sauce-spread/roasted-red-pepper-bolognese-lo-no-tomato.html
    Ketchup -- https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/dip/rhubarb-ketchup-catsup.html
    Pasta sauce -- https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/pasta/simple-butternut-squash-cream-sauce-for-pasta.html
    Lasagna -- https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/italian/white-lasagna-lasagna-bechamel.html
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but marsala sauce! Mushrooms, chicken stock, marsala wine, butter, and a LITTLE bit of flour to thicken it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My genius suggestion: no sauce. Why does minced beef (hamburger) need a sauce?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Cacio e pepe. Dead simple and delicious.

Others for pasta:
    Scampi (garlic/butter/lemon)
    Picatta (lemon/capers/butter) - must mention again because it's so good
    Alfredo
    Any stock-based gravy, you can stir in creme fraiche or sour cream to up the decadence factor

For beef, I'd go with the gravy suggestion. It'll make it like a stroganoff or shepherd's pie filling. Alternatively, go with a bechamel-based cheese sauce and mix it with the beef and some egg noodles or pasta.

I'll second the recommendation to use red peppers in place of tomatoes. Sweat peppers, onion, and garlic until soft, buzz them down in a blender (add some water to thin out the mixture if necessary), and season to taste. It works really well.

Almost forgot the kicker - canned cream of mushroom soup is highly underrated as a sauce. Sure, you could class it up and make your own but the canned stuff is such a comfort food treasure!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My genius suggestion: no sauce. Why does minced beef (hamburger) need a sauce?

It doesn't necessarily, but I often make chilli or Bolognese so would like to replace them with a non tomato sauce to go with pasta.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you're making tacos or chili you could try a salsa verde too. I love it on chicken but I would imagine it could work on ground beef also. You can buy it made or make it yourself with tomatillos (which are not the same family as tomatoes)

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/tomatillo-salsa-verde/