Whole Food Plant-Based food plan Success!!

Options
Hi everyone,

For the last 5 weeks I've been eating whole foods and plant based foods. I've eliminated meat, dairy, eggs and cheese from my eating. I thought it would probably only last a few weeks at best but the more I found new items to add to my menu the more I enjoyed the experience.

I started this plan in order to lower some of my meds but as I have progressed I have had some remarkable successes... I have type II diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, and high cholesterol. Pretty bad but this plan said it can help if not reverse these diseases...

Well, I started out with an average glucose fasting reading of 178 - 194, now it's averaging 89 - 104. My insulin is down from 40iu twice a day to 30iu once a day. My blood pressure was averaging 191/87 - 198/89 and now is 112/65 - 121/79. I will have to ask my PCP if I should lower my HTN meds... My weight started out at 232 and is now 211 and I can eat large portions of fruits and veggies, even carbs without any bad effects.

This success is in only 5 weeks! The plan I'm following is called Forks over Knives and there is a web site with all the information at www.forksoverknives.com... Give it a try.

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Glad you've found something you enjoy that is working for you!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Wow! It's kind of impossible to argue with results like that. Are you also exercising?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Some people would say that eating bacon, cheese and sausage all day could have given the same results. Thank you for sharing a different point of view. Keto seems really big here.

It's just the latest fad. Still better than the paleo trend. Yes, we are all cavepeople. Yes, bone broth is totally revolutionary.
  • msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow! How great! Good for you!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    FOK has some great recipes and ideas, even for non-vegans. Great news OP.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    WHAT that's amazing!!! Congratulations!! You should post this in success stories too!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic, congratualations on your results - that's massive progress!
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Awesome results!
  • crazy4equines
    crazy4equines Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Awesome, congrats!! I am almost 6 weeks whole food, plant based and am down 16 pounds, my LDL is down 20 points and glucose is down 10 points. The food is so good and I feel full and I don't feel like I am depriving myself from previous diets I have tried.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    great job! congrats
  • annie22uk
    annie22uk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations, amazing results. It's great to read how diet can affect your health so dramatically! I've just started the same way of eating, in order to improve health so it's great to hear your story!
  • lisalawrence00
    lisalawrence00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My “Favourite Guy” and I have spent some time watching health documentaries and Forks over Knives (along with much reading) has convinced me to give it a try. I grew up on a farm and NEVER thought i would but we started a whole foods, plant based diet 1 week ago.
    Would love to connect with more people who have successfully made the switch.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yay! So glad you are seeing results :) Check out the “eat to live” plan/recipes too. Lots of info on the most nutritious foods per calorie.
  • mooretamara56
    mooretamara56 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I love the Forks Over Knives website too. Lots of great recipes there. I’ve also lost weight and lowered my blood pressure eating this way. If you’re looking for other websites along the same lines check out minimalist baker, hello nutritarian and smoothie shred too. You may also want to check out Dr. Greger’s nutrition facts site. Good luck!
  • Suanough
    Suanough Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back! I guess I'm still cleaning up the wreckage of my past...

Had to have a stent placed in my left carotid artery (80% Blocked). I'm T2 diabetic and have done some damage over the years by not eating well, smoking, eating junk food, and not taking care of business.

I'm back with my WFPB food plan. This is my first week and so far so good.

Really feels good to be back with folks who understand the struggle and the successes. I'm at 189 down from 232 and still losing a little here and there.

Bless y'all and good eating...

Suanough