Cake and Cardio.

Options
My scheduled workout for today is Insanity Max:30's Tabata Power which is mostly strength (using your own body weight). However, I decided a slice of cake was very necessary today. That being said, should I stick with the Tabata or maybe replace it with a cardio for a higher calorie burn?

Replies

• gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I did Tabata power today too :)))minus the cake unfortunately lol
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades I've never heard that HIIT doesn't burn a lot of calories, only the opposite actually.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've heard that a lot, too, lately. Often from people selling HIIT classes. But if you do the math, it turns out that resting for half a 20 minute workout just doesn't burn that much. It can be really good for your cardiovascular system, which is why athletes do it, but not a big calorie burner.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yeah, I've heard that a lot, too, lately. Often from people selling HIIT classes. But if you do the math, it turns out that resting for half a 20 minute workout just doesn't burn that much. It can be really good for your cardiovascular system, which is why athletes do it, but not a big calorie burner.

I think that depends on the HIIT. something like Tabata HIIT which is 30 seconds on, 10 seconds active rest (jogging on the spot) will burn a lot! I have heard some refer to 30 seconds on, 1 min rest as HIIT, but that doesn't sound like proper HIIT to me. Edit to say I just googled the difference and oh ok, yeah thats normal HIIT lol. I'm so used to Tabata. but I think the key is active rests, so you are still working out in those rests, so HIIT would burn more than just cardio, and probably not as much as Tabata.

to OP, do the HIIT.