2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    BCAA's appear to be mostly useless according to research.

Creatine is well supported by most research

Beta-alanine is well supported by most research for pre-workout

Take caffine, creatine, and beta-alanine (the 3 main ingredients of almost all pre-workout supplements) before you workout. Or don't, their effects are real but mostly marginal.

Most post-workout powders have BCAAs, which are probably pointless, and creatine, which is good. They also often have some good fast digesting carbs in them which is good, but you can just as easily shove a couple gummy bears in your mouth or eat an apple.

You just recommended BCAAs to someone else a few weeks ago. What changed your mind?

I didn't recommend anything to anybody. I gave my story of how my recovery was improved after I started taking a post-workout supplement that included, among other things, BCAAs.

And suggested they give them a try IIRC.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    BCAA's appear to be mostly useless according to research.

Creatine is well supported by most research

Beta-alanine is well supported by most research for pre-workout

Take caffine, creatine, and beta-alanine (the 3 main ingredients of almost all pre-workout supplements) before you workout. Or don't, their effects are real but mostly marginal.

Most post-workout powders have BCAAs, which are probably pointless, and creatine, which is good. They also often have some good fast digesting carbs in them which is good, but you can just as easily shove a couple gummy bears in your mouth or eat an apple.

You just recommended BCAAs to someone else a few weeks ago. What changed your mind?

I didn't recommend anything to anybody. I gave my story of how my recovery was improved after I started taking a post-workout supplement that included, among other things, BCAAs.

And suggested they give them a try IIRC.

I always suggest somebody at least try something to see if it works for them. I wouldn't call that a recommendation or endorsement though. But I see where you're coming from.

We're not talking about something that costs hundreds of dollars here. You can get a pre and post workout together for less than $50 enough to last a month. Hell, if you buy protein anyways you can get it half-off at GNC if you pick it up the same time as you are buying protein anyways.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    There's also no reason to turn this into a headhunt. There's lots of ways to be successful at this. If BCAAs help, even if it's just mental/placebo, then that could be beneficial to some. Points have been made, let's move along.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Yossiph wrote: »
    I take BCAAs because they're necessary to me. I used to take them after a workout with whey. You can't get all amino acids from foods which is why BCAAs are necessary for me.
    Lol, where's your source on this? And if you're taking a decent protein powder, they usually have all the BCAA's in them anyway.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    There's also no reason to turn this into a headhunt. There's lots of ways to be successful at this. If BCAAs help, even if it's just mental/placebo, then that could be beneficial to some. Points have been made, let's move along.
    Well let's say that SPENDING MONEY inefficiently should also be mentioned here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    1. Unnecessary.
    2. Creatine timing doesn't matter.
    3. Sure.

This. The market is flooded with fitness people selling their product/image for people to "buy" fitness.

Creatine is the only suppliment that would benefit you.

BCAA or protien shakes are absolutely unnecessary if consuming enough protien.

Preworkout, overpriced sugar caffeine. Black coffee will yield you just as much response.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    eat food.
    dump creatine into drink and stir.
    preworkout not necessary but can be fun. also hides the creatine powder well.