Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Naturally thin

Options
celiah909
celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
I have an honest question that I am not able to find an answer I trust online and I am really curious. Could part of the reason some people seem to be "naturally thin" be because their bodies process calories differently?

I know for a fact that overeating put me where I am, I am not questioning that but I have always questioned if they do process calories differently and burn slightly more.

For an example: if me and a "naturally thin" person both ate a chicken sandwich that has 1000 calories in it and my body absorbed 950 calories of it could the other person possibly absorb 800?

Replies

• celiah909
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Observe people you deem to be naturally thin and I think you'll see that they properly moderate calories, rather than process them differently. They are able to walk away from the plate when satisfied, not stuffed.

I am going to sound like a creeper :D But I do get to observe quite a bit -- my husband and his siblings, plus parents are all thin, very thin. I do think part of what they do is eat only when actually hungry and tend to overeat less but not always.

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know what to think. For most of my life (until I was in my late 30s) I was naturally thin. I've always had a very large appetite. I've never been into physical stuff or sports either.

According to my mother, I've always had a big appetite. When I was 8 years old we used to go to this one steak house once a month. I started get adult meals then and eating a full-size prime rib, baked potato and salad bar. Soda? Yes please.

In high school, I used to stop at our local dairy store and buy a pint of chocolate chip ice cream and eat an entire pint probably 3 nights a week. All while have 3 meals a day, snacks in between if I wanted.

When I graduated high school I was 5'7" and 105 lbs. This went on for years. But around age 30, I was 130 lbs. Had 2 kids, landed at 140 pounds. It's been in my late 40s and 50s that I recently saw a rapid climb in weight quickly getting up to 160 lbs. Now I feel like I gain like most people do. But I didn't before and my eating habits were unbridled. I wasn't eating less or anything. I can't explain it.
  • celiah909
    Options
    celiah909 wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Observe people you deem to be naturally thin and I think you'll see that they properly moderate calories, rather than process them differently. They are able to walk away from the plate when satisfied, not stuffed.

I am going to sound like a creeper :D But I do get to observe quite a bit -- my husband and his siblings, plus parents are all thin, very thin. I do think part of what they do is eat only when actually hungry and tend to overeat less but not always.

Wanted to add but I do agree. I know if I stop and look at my in laws or my husband we may eat the same at dinner BUT they snack less during the day than I do.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Everybody has different caloric needs. These "naturally thin" people either eat less or they are more active or they are younger. Or they just move more in general.
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have two very thin friends. Think bony and almost nobody fat. Both of them eat much more than me and drink a ton. They don't seem to gain weight as I would. Their moms are also very thin so I think there's a genetic component to it. The women in my family are not fat, but none are lean either much like me.