CALORIES AND PROTEIN

Options
If I have reached my calorie limit for the day but still need to fulfill a protein quota, should I try to fulfill it and go over in my calories or just leave it? Keep in mind I am in a fat loss (deficit) but still trying to maintain muscle.

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    If I have reached my calorie limit for the day but still need to fulfill a protein quota, should I try to fulfill it and go over in my calories or just leave it? Keep in mind I am in a fat loss (deficit) but still trying to maintain muscle.

If it's one day I wouldn't worry about it - just be sure to make a point of meeting your minimum the next day. If you're consistently under you'll need to look at your food plan and see where you can reliably increase it..
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Don't go over.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Calories in are key if you are wanting to loose weight. I consistently fail on my protein target and i am trying really hard to get better at meeting it, but i wouldn't increase my intake of calories just to meet my protein goal as its a quick road to weight gain.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Calories in are key if you are wanting to loose weight. I consistently fail on my protein target and i am trying really hard to get better at meeting it, but i wouldn't increase my intake of calories just to meet my protein goal as its a quick road to weight gain.

I wouldn't increase calories just to meet protein either. If you're struggling to get enough protein, try pre planning your whole day of meals, and start by adding a protein source for each meal first. Once you've decided on a protein, add other elements to go with it.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I find planning is (annoyingly) key to meeting my protein target without busting through my calories.

I intentionally have low carb, high protein snacks - protein bars, protein shakes, skyr, quark, jerky - to help make sure I have space for "normal" meals.

I also rarely cook one-pot dishes (although right now I'm eating risotto but never mind!) so I can control the ratio of protein to carbs better, and just scale back the carb side (and usually up the veggies) if I'm getting a bit tight in the evenings.

Basically, make sure you're not leaving all your protein until dinner!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Decide on your priority and make a choice - protein goal or size of calorie deficit.

Personally I always looked at my calorie deficit as very much a variable deficit. Actual speed of loss wasn't really a big concern at all for me.

You haven't given any numbers so let's make some assumptions:
    • 500 cal deficit for a 1lb/week weight loss.
    • Today you "need" an extra 50 grams of protein (50 x 4 = 200 cals).

So your choice could be meet that protein goal but only have a 300 cal deficit today.

PS
    Would add the caveats that precision on macros every day really isn't that big a deal or remotely necessary.
    Ditto for hitting a certain calorie deficit very day.
    Dieting doesn't have to be that restrictive to be successful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I agree with @livingleanlivingclean -- I would not go over calories by much (a little does not matter) to hit a protein goal, BUT I'd look at my diary to figure out why I did not meet it and make some changes. Hitting protein was one of the very first things I tried to do (other than calories and somewhat as part of calories), and I quickly learned that for me it's helpful (since I don't snack) to make sure I get a decent amount of protein at all three of my meals. Looking at your diary and when you are and are not getting protein and what lower protein foods you might be able to replace or cut down on is what will likely help.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what is your current protein goal? and goal weight? (it might be that its too high comparatively)