new to the stationary bike schwinn airdyne how many minutes a week ?

Options
wefts
wefts Posts: 183 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I got this schwinn airdyne Bike in July and could barley do 10 min when I started . ( I am 57 and coming of a year 4 months of little exercise do to a bad ankle injury ) I am up to 46 -51 min at a time and the last few days managed to get to 7 mi each time . I have done 346 min in the last 7 days. I am sore ,legs are not so sore that I can not walk just feel heavy and like lead . should I do a couple days shorter rides or take a full day off ?
also I have stopped loosing weight for the last 9-10 days I think I actually gained a lb , even though I am staying below 1500 cal a day , so I am hoping that means I am building some muscle.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're not building muscle, it's water retention from your sore legs.

Take a rest day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you are sore take a day off from cycling, two days if you need to - go for a walk instead perhaps.

Soreness = inflammation = water retention = temporary water weight.

not so sore that I can not walk just feel heavy and like lead
    This is your leg muscles telling you they need recovery time. In the future think you should consider switching to an alternate day program.

how many minutes a week ?
    At the moment that mainly would seem to depend on your capabilities. As your capabilities increase it will then depend on your goals.
  • wefts
    Options
    Thank you so much , it never even occurred to me that the muscle soreness was holding water . I had posted that note just before I did the bike last night I told myself I would just do 20 min but for some reason the pain is gone after 10-15 min and I ended up doing 60 min and 8,3 miles which is actually my best ( longest time with the most miles yet ) I am a bit sore today but back down a lb
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    definitely take a rest day in between. 2 if necessary.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    wefts wrote: »
    Thank you so much , it never even occurred to me that the muscle soreness was holding water . I had posted that note just before I did the bike last night I told myself I would just do 20 min but for some reason the pain is gone after 10-15 min and I ended up doing 60 min and 8,3 miles which is actually my best ( longest time with the most miles yet ) I am a bit sore today but back down a lb

Bikes are fun, and it's easy to get carried away. Monday was supposed to be an easy ride for me and I did the same thing. It happens.

The advice you've been getting is very good.
  • wefts
    Options
    Thank you !