I need personal opinions please

Options
2»

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    bweath2 wrote: »
    It appears that many people don't believe that cardio inhibits muscle growth. The science is explained in section 2: "Impact of Cardio on Muscle Gains" here:
    http://www.musclehack.com/why-cardio-sucks-you-dont-need-to-do-it/

Does cardio interfere with hypertrophy/strength adaptations? Sure.
    However the magnitude of interference is hardly anything to fuss over if you account for it in your training and diet. Hell, better cardiovascular capacity might cause you to recover better from strength allowing you to train more and make more gains.

Just look at Alex Viada (the guy holds a record for deadlifting 700lbs within a week of running a 50 mile ultramarathon) and what his company does.
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    30/30/40 is pretty standard. Nutritionally you are on the right path. IMO and experience, Cardio is my gains killer as well. I have pretty much the same regimen. 5 to 6 days a week splits. I am too am naturally lean. I try to stay away from Cardio unless its to shred down.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Options
    By "cardio kills gains", I meant that it prevents optimal gains. Lifting heavy "tears a muscle down", and the repair process is when muscle is gained. The more a muscle can rest during that repair window, the greater the gains. Mark McManus explains the "peak overcompensation point" here:
    http://www.musclehack.com/10-rock-solid-scientific-laws-of-muscle-building/

That's an article and i use thst loosely. Its more of an advertisment as opposed to science..he doesn't even describe volume right. Volume is not sets, its sets*reps*weight.

And to your other post, is a person is only hitting each muscle once a week, they are far from being optimal. MPS occurs over a 36 to 48hr period, so hitting each muscle group 2 to 3x a week is optimal. 1x per week is for those on vitamin S.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It appears that many people don't believe that cardio inhibits muscle growth. The science is explained in section 2: "Impact of Cardio on Muscle Gains" here:
    http://www.musclehack.com/why-cardio-sucks-you-dont-need-to-do-it/

So rather than steady state cardio, you'd recommend HIIT (as you did above)? Which imposes a much higher stress on the muscles/CNS and creates much more significant recovery issues than steady state cardio?

If that's the kind of "information" McManus is putting out, I'll pass.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead Mark only recomends HIIT for those who need greater fat loss. And I would definitely recommend HIIT over cardio for fat loss. HIIT as well as cardio can be done with strength training. The degree to which they affect gains depend on what activity is done and when.
    The OP stated that his goal was strength and mass gains. I simply stated that if he was doing cardio 3x/week to keep BF% low, he should switch to HIIT. Done properly, it will maximize fat loss and has a minimal effect on gains. However, neither is needed if the goal is just to bulk.
  • bweath2
    Options
    @psuLemon Mark is pretty good about backing up his articles with scientific studies. He did simplify volume there, but explains his opinion on total volume here:
    http://www.musclehack.com/total-volume-or-high-intensity-for-best-muscle-gains/
    I agree that a 3x/week routine is far better and that a 5 day split is far from optimal for natural lifters. I just assumed that's what the OP was doing since he lifts 5x/week. There seems to be some debate about the 48 hours of active protein synthesis being the end all of gains. Something about decreases protein breakdown rates creating greater hypertrophy continuing past that 48 hr mark. Haven't had time to research it yet, so I'll just stick with my 3 day routine. If you know if any studies on that please let me know.
    Thanks for the input. I'm always open to learn more!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Betting you need to consume more than 2700 calories to gain just based on height and weight along with guessing you're under 25 years old.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bweath2
    Options
    @psuLemon Earlier you said that cardio does not inhibit/"rob" lifting gains. Every study I have read has concluded that it does. However, it has been several years since I looked into it (just now getting back into lifting). If you know of studies that support your opinion and can post links, I would love to read them.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Betting you need to consume more than 2700 calories to gain just based on height and weight along with guessing you're under 25 years old.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I would concur with this assessment - I would hypothesize his maintainance is probably in the 3000-3500 range so even 2700 could have him losing weight
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @psuLemon Earlier you said that cardio does not inhibit/"rob" lifting gains. Every study I have read has concluded that it does. However, it has been several years since I looked into it (just now getting back into lifting). If you know of studies that support your opinion and can post links, I would love to read them.

It's an oversimplication because you have to consider food inadequate and recovery. But there are types of cardio that support hypertrophy and strength gains; especially those types of cardio that is based on multijoint movements (i.e., rowing, cycling, etc..). The three main reasons to cut down on cardio is, 1. it prevents you from staying in a sustain surplus, 2. doesn't allow you to adequately recover, 3. you just don't like it.

If I get some free time, I will find the studies.