Did you injure yourself when starting a new workout regimen?

Options
Dr_Fishbowl
Dr_Fishbowl Posts: 42 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey, I was just curious as i have just jacked up my elbow from lifting weights, which I have only been doing for about a month (weights were too heavy, form was bad, ext.) Which reminded me when I started running I tore up my groin and had to sit out for a month or so. I recall reading a stat that said something like 80% of people starting to workout will injure themselves, so I was just curious as to how many people here have experienced injuries right out of the starting gate, whether by improper technique or doing too much too fast ?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    Nope.

There was DOMS, of course ... but no injuries.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I hurt my foot after a month or so of starting running. This was a few years ago. I'm not really sure how or what exactly was wrong with my foot (it hurt to walk for like 6 weeks) and I never went to the dr for it. I think part of it was I wore crappy shoes. Anyway, I don't run anymore.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Nope. I hurt myself in other interesting ways.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Nope.

There was DOMS, of course ... but no injuries.

I'll add to this that when I first started going to the gym, for example, I took advantage of their introduction to the gym program, and then worked out for a couple years with a coach who was an amateur bodybuilder.

When I got into cycling, I rode with my parents who were both into cycling. I grew up in the cycling world.

When I got into running it was at school, in Grade 7 and we had a really good running coach/instructor.

So I have taken advantage the instruction provided to me ... and I have also done a lot of reading. I buy or borrow books on weight lifting, cycling, running and so on to get tips and hints and advice.
  • lolliebradshaw82
    Options
    I started suffering with sciatica after a legs, bums and tums class a few months ago
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope... I've had a couple of running injuries but not when I first started out.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Nope, didn't have a lifting related injury until 3 years in. And it wasn't too heavy/bad form related.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No
    Closest to this situation was back in high school when I was first learning how to hurdle, my lead foot got a bit sore from not being used to taking the landing, but a day off & a few more of having it taped, took care of that.
  • Dr_Fishbowl
    Dr_Fishbowl Posts: 42 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I'll add to this that when I first started going to the gym, for example, I took advantage of their introduction to the gym program, and then worked out for a couple years with a coach who was an amateur bodybuilder.

When I got into cycling, I rode with my parents who were both into cycling. I grew up in the cycling world.

When I got into running it was at school, in Grade 7 and we had a really good running coach/instructor.

So I have taken advantage the instruction provided to me ... and I have also done a lot of reading. I buy or borrow books on weight lifting, cycling, running and so on to get tips and hints and advice.

Do you feel like the reading and research helped or was it more of the instruction. Just curious because I feel like the internet gave me a false sense of bravado and security which lead me to my latest fish fry. I felt I didn't need to go to the gym and have someone qualified show me the ins and outs of weight lifting since I had the world wide web at my finger tips. I mean, what could they tell me that I couldn't learn on my own.....other then that just because it's easy to curl 20 lbs of dumbbells doesn't mean it would be easy to overhead pressing them...
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back into exercising regularly after a hiatus and I'm SO worried about injuring myself. I've gotten really weak and I'm noticing all sorts of twinges and imbalances. I'm just starting with super light weights and trying to be very careful with my form (running too), hoping my muscles will build up enough to support me. I'm not sure what else to do. Not exercising is what got me into this mess. Just trying to take it slow. How did you hurt yourself? Any cautionary advice?
  • Machka9
    Options

Do you feel like the reading and research helped or was it more of the instruction. Just curious because I feel like the internet gave me a false sense of bravado and security which lead me to my latest fish fry. I felt I didn't need to go to the gym and have someone qualified show me the ins and outs of weight lifting since I had the world wide web at my finger tips. I mean, what could they tell me that I couldn't learn on my own.....other then that just because it's easy to curl 20 lbs of dumbbells doesn't mean it would be easy to overhead pressing them...

I didn't have the internet when I started. I didn't have the internet until I was well into it all.

Regarding cycling, I grew up in a cycling family with bicycles all around and Bicycle Magazine lying around, so I was able to talk to my parents and also read Bicycle Magazine. When I hit about 17, my cycling kind of dropped off ... and when I was 23, I started it up again and have continued ever since. But when I was 23, I went to my local library back then, and took out every single book they had on bicycles and bicycle riding. All 5 of them. I read them from cover to cover, and used a lot of the tips to set up my bicycle and kind of design a training plan. Of course, I already had a decent background in cycling but the books certainly helped.

When I got into bodybuilding, I had a coach ... since then, I've collected a small library of books on weight lifting. So I've got a good background being coached in person, but these books are particularly good because they show the human anatomy and explain exactly what each activity does. So they're a good reference if I want to work a certain area or try something new.

When I got into yoga, first I half-heartedly tried a video but it just didn't feel right. So I went to a class and happened to get a really good instructor. She made sure we did everything right and explained why. She was thorough. From that, I could then go home and do the video, and things felt right.

I have rarely used the internet to show me how to do something. I'd rather someone show me in person to make sure I've got it right ... or to read a book that I can read and re-read and stop and check and so on. I suppose you can keep stopping a YouTube video or something, but my limited experience with that sort of thing indicates to me that they don't really explain the "why" very well.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    No. I had very bad DOMS the first week I did bodyweight training. However, on the whole, I very much eased into working out by using baby steps.

I do think that people tend to hurt themselves by trying to do too much too fast. They look at really fit people and try to copy what they are doing within a few weeks of training, which is absurd. When you start playing the piano you don't start with The Flight of the Bumblebee. You start with the basics and gradually build from there.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Nope. But now, 3+ years later, I have torn my tfcc in the wrist of my main hand. Not sure if it's lifting related as I didn't have a specific incident. It probably is wear and tear (heh) due to exercise though. Been off the weights for about 6 weeks and have surgery next week. Probably won't get back to any real lifting until the start of the year.

<insert cries here>
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I first started lifting I strained my rotator cuff and partially dislocated my shoulder because I sacrificed proper form trying to add weight to fast. And right now I have shin splits as I added running to my weekly program a few weeks ago.

I have a bad habit of jumping in and doing too much too quick without giving my body time to adjust. It's something I need to work on and am currently trying to be more aware and cautious about.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    Nah.

I do get injured, but random stuff at random times, some of it overuse or adaptation problems. I'm sure that it didn't help that I didn't start being regularly very active until my mid-40s.

I'm pretty good about learning how to do things properly (coaching, classes) first, then ramping up gradually (but challengingly). Now that I'm 61, injury recovery takes longer than it used to, and any detraining happens faster, so I'm somewhat cautious.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Starting something new - no.

Doing something too hard while involved - yes.

Attempting to come back too soon or too intense and stay injured - yes.

I've done very well last 10-15 years with those final two and not done it again.
    I've done some foolish things like a tri in Sep with minimal training - but was smart doing it from experience so only soreness.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My husband hurt his back trying to add to much weight to quickly.

I've only indirectly injured myself from exercise. :blush: Ok so, before we bought our first home, we used to rent this single-wide mobile shack and when I was first starting out at my heaviest weight, I was trying to find an exercise that I would like. Someone suggested the 30-day shred to me, and if you've done the workout, she starts off her warm up with jumping jacks. I did 3 and then the floor cracked and I fell through.

:flushed: Thankfully I wasn't seriously injured, just more grossed out that I was now under the trailer with the spiders. Hubby was really good about it lol. He blamed the weak floor on the water tank that leaked earlier that year lol.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I injured my knee when I started running because I didn't do my research and therefore made rookie mistakes (like running in a pair of plain old sneakers instead of properly fitted running shoes). I was also increasing my mileage at the time, and probably increased too fast.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Last spring I made the mistake of trying to do a push-up challenge when I had almost no upper body strength. First two weeks went well. But then, disaster. Combined with a couple of bad falls I had had a couple of months prior that must have damaged the muscles, I ended up tearing my rotater cuff badly. Despite therapy, I'm still not healed.

Five years ago, as a beginning runner, I was happily building my mileage from couch to half marathon over a period of seven months. Evidently I did too much too soon and ended up with a pelvic stress fracture. It was another 7 months before I could run without pain.