Getting weaker running

Options
marshageroli
marshageroli Posts: 41 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
To start off, I am a very amateur runner. I began running a year and a half ago and stopped because I became pregnant due to a mixture of laziness, fatigue and sickness. Anyway, I'm back on the wagon again. I started slow two months after baby and I've worked my way up to 20 minutes at a 5 on the treadmill and then walking at 3.5 @ a 5 incline for the rest of the hour. I've been doing that for two weeks now, but today and yesterday I have barely been able to run five minutes and I'm exhausted by 40 minutes. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I realize how pathetic my running is to most people, but I used to do 30 minute miles in high school, so this is huge for me. I'm hoping to eventually work my way up to doing a 5k, which is why I'm concerned.

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I started slow two months after baby and I've worked my way up to 20 minutes at a 5 on the treadmill and then walking at 3.5 @ a 5 incline for the rest of the hour. I've been doing that for two weeks now, but today and yesterday I have barely been able to run five minutes and I'm exhausted by 40 minutes.

Are you doing this (running) every day?
  • marshageroli
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Are you doing this (running) every day? [/quote]

Mostly, maybe five days a week
    My break day is Sunday and one day I do a fitness blender full body workout with hiit, abs and obliques, and weights
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    You're going to have bad days, bad runs. It happens, and is to be expected. That may be all that's going on here.

Are you doing any sort of program, like C25k, or are you just winging it?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    1. You're not in high school any more.
    2. Have you completed c25k or similar?
    3. You're either overtraining or under fueling.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Mostly, maybe five days a week
    My break day is Sunday and one day I do a fitness blender full body workout with hiit, abs and obliques, and weights

For a "new" runner, 5 days a week is a lot. I'd suggest every other day at most to start.

Also, as @jjpptt2 mentioned above, you're going to have bad days.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Some days are better than others though running does tend to build a cumulative fatigue if you don't give yourself enough rest.

I know it's tough on a treadmill but don't let the machine dictate your pace. Pace is not a constant. Depending on the day, you might be able to do that 20 minutes at a 6 or 7; on others you might need to drop it to a 3 or 4 to last the whole time. Gear your speed to your capability for any given day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    1. You're not in high school any more.
    2. Have you completed c25k or similar?
    3. You're either overtraining or under fueling.

All of this...
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I always notice a difference in my running if I under fuel for that day.

Also, you just had a baby! That takes a huge toll on your body and if you are breastfeeding, make sure you are eating enough to sustain that in addition to your runs. Congrats on the baby and don't forget that it can take many months to let your body adjust back to its old self.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're not overtraining. Make sure you're eating enough. You have a young one at home--are you sleeping enough?

Lots of things can affect how you feel on your run, many of them are only temporary. Off days/weeks happen too.
  • marshageroli
    Options

Are you doing any sort of program, like C25k, or are you just winging it?[/quote]

I'm just winging it...lol which is why I have no idea what I'm doing
  • marshageroli
    Options

I'm definitely not sleeping enough, but I don't know how to remedy that with four kids... ): I'm glad to know that there are off days though. I've found through running it helps me relieve stress for me, so I don't want to cut it out, but I can definitely slow down

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Definitely, only run every other day.
    Rest and recovery is extremely important when you are trying to increase distance or improve generally.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not sleeping enough, but I don't know how to remedy that with four kids... ):

Pawn them off on family for a weekend.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Are you breastfeeding?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Need to get on a set program such as C25k. Log your intake into MFP to ensure you are fueling your workouts. Get plenty of sleep (I have three kids and understand how laughable that one is). Rest your body for the next training session.

How old are the kids? Can the older ones start watching after the younger ones around nap time?

I mixed a progressive weight lifting program to compliment my running, swimming and biking and definitely seeing improvement across all sports.
  • marshageroli
    Options

Yes, I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I am eating 1600 calories a day, without eating back exercise calories
  • marshageroli
    Options
    How old are the kids? Can the older ones start watching after the younger ones around nap time?

I have a 7, 5, 3, and 4 month old. The seven year old is in school during naps, but helps a lot when she is home
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I am eating 1600 calories a day, without eating back exercise calories

under fueling it is then.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1600 calories a day, without eating back exercise calories

I'd suggest that you're significantly underfueled