Looking for insight on adding weight training

Options
I am a runner, but that is the extent of the exercise I do outside of lots of walking. I have lost 45 pounds and have another 40 to go, and I'm starting to want the benefits of weight training. I am not looking to lift heavy, sorry!

So my question is, what do I need to consider regarding calorie needs (currently around 1350), weight gain before loss, macro needs, etc. as far as macros go I am usually C-40, F-40, P-20. Should I adjust any of that to be successful?

Any other tips you would recommend? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, but that is the extent of the exercise I do outside of lots of walking. I have lost 45 pounds and have another 40 to go, and I'm starting to want the benefits of weight training. I am not looking to lift heavy, sorry!

So my question is, what do I need to consider regarding calorie needs (currently around 1350), weight gain before loss, macro needs, etc. as far as macros go I am usually C-40, F-40, P-20. Should I adjust any of that to be successful?

Any other tips you would recommend? Thanks in advance.

What is successful? Continued weight loss or actual strength gains and retaining LBM? As far as macros go, don't worry about % as much as a protein minimum. Roughly .7 to 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.
    Regardless of whether you plan to lift heavy or not, whether you are doing 3 reps or 15 reps, you still need to be using enough weight to challenge yourself. Otherwise there's not much point.
  • gracegoodcookie
    gracegoodcookie Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I do cardio and pilates/yoga/trx, because that's what I enjoy but, like you, have had to add in weight training. Everyone is different but my body responds best to a higher number of sets with lower weights and I also do best with a very slow cadence to my lift. You'll just need to see what works best for you but even if you don't lift "heavy" you need to lift to failure, if that makes sense. I think you should be fine with your macros except you may want to up your protein a little, especially making sure you have some kind of protein within an hour or so after weight lifting.
    I'm no expert, just sharing my experience. Hope it's helpful to you. Oh, and CONGRATS on the weight loss! :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    A couple of things... your protein while in a calorie deficit should be higher, consider .8 to 1 per body weight. Carbs and fats should be spread how you choose and keep your calorie deficit at a moderate rate of loss and not too aggressive.

As for lifting, what's heavy for you is heavy for you. You should be considering a progressive load strength training program, the idea is the maintain and preserve as much muscle as possible while in a calorie deficit.

Link contains various novice to advanced programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input. I was not aware of the recommended .7-1g of protein per pound of body weight. I certainly will have to increase protein a bit as I'm only eating around 100g and I currently weigh 183.

My ultimate goal is to continue losing weight, but sub goals are 1. to increase my running pace and distance and 2. To have a bit of muscle as my layer of fat disappears. I have read a lot on the forums lately about people who only run losing muscle mass.

Basically I have no wish to join a gym so I don't have access to "heavy" lifting. Heavy for me (currently) is 20 pounds.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You are your own gym