Steps on Apple Watch / calorie adjustment on MFP

Options
I have started using an Apple Watch synced to mfp to count my steps each day. When I go for a walk I don't add this as exercise. Mfp shows a calorie adjustment but this seems low i.e. 10,000 Steps walked and the adjustment is showing as 79 calories. Could someone explain how this works please and whether I should be adding walks as exercise manually or not. Many thanks. .... Ps when I set up my profile on mfp I input that I was aiming for 10,000 steps a day

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Since you told MFP that you were going to take 10,000 steps per day as a matter of course, it assigned those calories to you already in your target. You will get a negative adjustment if you go below 10,000 steps for the day for the amount of steps below 10,000. You will get a positive adjustment if you go above 10,000 steps per day for the amount of steps above 10,000.
  • sammyp40
    sammyp40 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, good job I wasn't keying it in as well then! Much appreciated :)
  • NayaSaidSo
    NayaSaidSo Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Im having trouble with my watch too. I still cant get the calories on my watch to match up with the calories on MFP. My watch currently says ive burned 775 active calories but MFP is only counting the workouts. I have everything turned on in the apple health app to sync with MFP it just doesn't.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    iLadyT wrote: »
    Im having trouble with my watch too. I still cant get the calories on my watch to match up with the calories on MFP. My watch currently says ive burned 775 active calories but MFP is only counting the workouts. I have everything turned on in the apple health app to sync with MFP it just doesn't.

I forget how the Apple Watch records active calories but I think it does count normal steps towards that total.

MFP will 'assume' steps for you into your base calorie target based on the level of activity you've specified in your profile. I don't know the exact step assumptions for each level, somebody else here might be able to provide that info.

Both are probably saying the same thing. It's just that the Apple Watch labels those calories as active whereas MFP has them assumed into your normal base. How do the total calories burned match up between the two (active + non-active calories)?
  • Kapoten
    Kapoten Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I have the same issue. Even when I went on vacation this summer and walked all day, burning more than 3500 calories according to my Apple Watch (i.e., a lot more than is normal for me), I got no adjustment in MFP because I didn't log a "workout." My MFP profile is set to "sedentary," so I'm sure it didn't assume I would walk that much. It only ever makes adjustments for deliberate workouts.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Kapoten wrote: »

I have the same issue. Even when I went on vacation this summer and walked all day, burning more than 3500 calories according to my Apple Watch (i.e., a lot more than is normal for me), I got no adjustment in MFP because I didn't log a "workout." My MFP profile is set to "sedentary," so I'm sure it didn't assume I would walk that much. It only ever makes adjustments for deliberate workouts.

Mine adjusts but is ridiculously low; like, I've walked 3 hours and taken 15000 steps in a day and MFP still only adjusted me up 150 calories or so, even though the calorie burn from that is probably over 400 and I'm set to sedentary. I think I'll turn off the automatic adjustments and log long walks manually unless I get a heart rate monitor...
  • ymeskaoui
    ymeskaoui Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey 👋🏼 (New here) I have the opposite problem. Mfp used to compensate my 10k daily steps somewhere between -100 and -167 calorie adjustment. I thought it was normal because (i think) if you burn 600kcal in a workout, doesn’t mean you should be able to eat +600kcal without breaking your maintenance calories. It seemed right for someone who’s into a cut, to only earn 150kczl out of 600kcal/exercice. Today it literally displayed the whole 670kcal that I’ve burned in the gym, into mfp. Is this normal? How can I fix it? Thanks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options