Binging. Am I doing it right?

Options
I say this tounge-in-cheek, because it's not my goal or desire to binge. Nor am I sure if what I do even qualifies. Is binging what you eat, how much you eat or how fast you eat? Maybe a little of all three? Are foods like yogurt, dried fruit or protein bars "binge" foods? If so, then at what calorie threshold?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The way I read the clinical definition, I would have qualified for long periods in my life. But I have never had an eating diorder or gotten any treatment for my disordered eating, I fixed it myself by reading and logging and discussing. So I feel Dianne's personal account is more on the point and describes how it really is to have an eating disorder. ED must be diagnosed and treated by professionals.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Again just for me, binging feels more like self-harm than overeating.

^^^This. Very well said.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

^^^This. Very well said.

It is. But I experienced that too, regularly, and I didn't have an ED.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options

^^^This. Very well said.

You experienced symptoms that are related to an ED but did not have an ED. Maybe you just had an undiagnosed ED?

Just asking, by the way, not implying that you did. I've never been diagnosed with an ED either but I've definitely experienced what diannethegeek is describing.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

^^^This. Very well said.

You experienced symptoms that are related to an ED but did not have an ED. Maybe you just had an undiagnosed ED?

Just asking, by the way, not implying that you did. I've never been diagnosed with an ED either but I've definitely experienced what diannethegeek is describing.
    I think there is a range from "normal eating" to "full blown ED", so that whether it's a disorder or just a nuisance, depends on how much the total symptoms affect the person, quality of life, his or her daily life and general functioning. I also think that eating problems rooted in body image or self esteem issues will be harder to solve, than just wanting to eat but feearing good taste, which was my reason for obsessive overeating. In my mind, a disorder needs treatment, a misunderstanding just needs education to fix. When I realized I was eating compulsively (I was harming myself, but not punishing myself, with eating, I that makes a difference too), I didn't just love sweet and salty and fatty treats too much, I could stop. When I realized I could eat whatever I wanted, as long as I didn't eat too much, I didn't have any reason to overeat anymore.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I don't believe I have an ED, but I also dont any harm in seeking the help of a therapist. Binging and poor sleep quality are very closely tied in my case. And even the weather sometimes.
  • dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    As a binge eater, it is pretty much all of the above and usually isn’t yogurt etc. it’s a feeling of “I’m so pissed off if I don’t eat a Whopper then a Big Mac, Chinese then a box of Poptarts I’m going to murder someone”. Then as your eating it all there is a this sigh of relief followed by wtf am I doing!!! And you NEVER eat a box of Twinkes in front of anyone, you will have 1 so show you’re capable of being in control but secretly your sneaking 6 more to eat when your alone! It sucks!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Does it feel out of control? Irrational? Much like self-harm (well said, @diannethegeek)? Then I would say it's bingeing.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I've had disinhibited eating that felt just "off the rails", but never felt like self-harm. Just like self-sabotage.

So I've never considered myself to have BED. Just some issues that needed sorting.

For me, the problem was an issue of macro balance (one time I wasn't getting enough starch, another I wasn't eating enough fat), and another issue I'm still dealing with is trying to find a balance with activity. I need to learn to rest better.

When I do everything right, I don't go "off the rails".

The thing is, I don't always do everything right.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I can relate. Certain things get me out of balance and this is when I've historically had trouble with bingeing.