Why would I enable my adjustments?

Options
So confused about this whole thing. My Fitbit syncs to MFP and I don't log my "exercise" either. I changed from active to lightly active. I work out 1 hour a day 5/days a week and run 7 miles on Saturdays. I walkm10,000 steps a day. Why should I enable? And what is it doing?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What to you mean enable adjustments. Do you mean enable negative adjustments?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I will take a crack at this!

You log your food, right? That gives you the "calories in" part of the equation.

With MyFitnessPal you also have the possibility to log your "calories out" part of the equation (training, cardio, et al). Your "calories in" minus your "calories out" will give you either the "caloric surplus", "caloric deficit" or "break-even" number.

Does that make sense?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about negative adjustments?
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yes negative adjustment. So if I see a negative red, that means I have overate. And if I see a positive green that means I can eat those "extra" calories... or just leave them.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Negative adjustments are regarding your fitbit and your activity level. If you don't hit the number of steps to match your activity level by the end of the day, you'd get a negative adjustment to your calories if you did not hit the exercise target for your activity level that you set. In your case it seems that this would not happen often.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sorry, folks! Showed my ignorance yet again! :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get 13-15k steps a day 7 days a week, but i keep my activity level at sedentary, and because of negative adjustments i lose around 60 calories every night, when i was set at lightly activity that number jumped up to closer to 200 calories, which kinda negated upping my level/calories.

MFP expects you to keep up whatever activity level you have chosen til midnight everyday! Because i go to bed early (8ish pm), I get calories taken away every night. Just write down how many calories you have left when you go to bed, and go back and check again the next morning. Enabling negative adjustments just means mfp can "rescind" the calories it gave you..
  • Famof72015
    Options
    I get 13-15k steps a day 7 days a week, but i keep my activity level at sedentary, and because of negative adjustments i lose around 60 calories every night, when i was set at lightly activity that number jumped up to closer to 200 calories, which kinda negated upping my level/calories.

MFP expects you to keep up whatever activity level you have chosen til midnight everyday! Because i go to bed early (8ish pm), I get calories taken away every night. Just write down how many calories you have left when you go to bed, and go back and check again the next morning. Enabling negative adjustments just means mfp can "rescind" the calories it gave you..

But if I just eat my goal regardless what extra calories I get back if I just eat my goal calories I'll lose the weight I have set it for... eventually. Correct?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    So confused about this whole thing. My Fitbit syncs to MFP and I don't log my "exercise" either. I changed from active to lightly active. I work out 1 hour a day 5/days a week and run 7 miles on Saturdays. I walkm10,000 steps a day. Why should I enable? And what is it doing?

Other people will cover enabling negative adjustments. I want to cover your activity level and eating exercise calories. Your activity level is based on your job, not your exercise. I just wanted to make sure you picked Lightly Active due to your job, not your exercise.

slcna8qogm2r.jpg

MFP gives you calories assuming no exercise. Therefore, when you exercise, you are supposed to log it (or let your FitBit log it) and eat back those exercise calories, otherwise you have created a bigger deficit than you intended. Bigger isn't better in this case.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »

But if I just eat my goal regardless what extra calories I get back if I just eat my goal calories I'll lose the weight I have set it for... eventually. Correct?

If you don't eat your exercise calories back then it shouldn't make a huge difference. Not sure on that one though, as I've always eaten most of mine back. When you go to bed tonight check how many you've got left, and then recheck tomorrow morning.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Thank you everyone