Trying to lose weight as college senior

Options
I have been using MyFitnessPal off and on since high school, but I have steadily gained weight in college. I am now over 30 pounds heavier than I was when I graduated high school four years ago. I graduate from college this December, and I would like to be about 5-10 pounds lighter. However, between work and my homework load, I don't have much time to exercise. I am trying to watch what I eat, but I still feel down a lot about my weight. Any kind suggestions or comments are welcome, and feel free to follow/friend me if you would like. Thank you for listening!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but you have to eat less. Have you tried using the food tracker here? If not, why not? If you have, why didn't it work out for you? You can reduce food intake without logging, if you find that easier - just reduce portions at meals and cut way back on eating/drinking outside meals.
  • southgirl94
    southgirl94 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I have tried using the food trackers but there are many days where I might only input part of my meals. So I have stopped trying to use it. However, I am trying harder to not snack between meals and be more conscious of what I am eating when I do.
  • karrielynnhowardsternfan
    Options
    Of course she has tried tracking thats what this is all about. I go through the same ups and downs some days I track others I don't. The one thing that I realize is the differnce between day dreaming about it and having a goal is a solid plan and end to the process. Maybe you motivate yourself with something such as put 5 dollars for every pound in a savings account to buy new slimmer clothes. Personally I am going to try it and see if I can motivate myself to lose more.
    Best,
    Karrie
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What are your current eating habits like? Are you consistent or do you find yourself letting loose on the weekends?

Things that have helped me:
    - Plate at most (doesn't have to be all!) meals = 1/2 green vegetables, 1/4 starch, 1/4 protein
    - eat lean protein for snacks (light string cheese, lowfat cottage cheese, etc)
    - drink a lot o' water (don't drink your calories)

I find that I eat more when I drink sodas, even diet ones (exception: la croix or other non-sweetened beverages), I get more hungry. Consider limiting those, it might help reduce feeling hungry. (This is not a rule, just something that I've noticed for myself.)
  • southgirl94
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What are your current eating habits like? Are you consistent or do you find yourself letting loose on the weekends?

Things that have helped me:
    - Plate at most (doesn't have to be all!) meals = 1/2 green vegetables, 1/4 starch, 1/4 protein
    - eat lean protein for snacks (light string cheese, lowfat cottage cheese, etc)
    - drink a lot o' water (don't drink your calories)

I find that I eat more when I drink sodas, even diet ones (exception: la croix or other non-sweetened beverages), I get more hungry. Consider limiting those, it might help reduce feeling hungry. (This is not a rule, just something that I've noticed for myself.)

I used to drink two to three sodas a day, and now I am down to drinking one every few days. I try to bring granola bars, yogurt, or a banana with me to class to snack on during class or on my breaks.

You have a point: I do let loose more on the weekends because I am at home more. However, even then, I am trying to start watching more of what I eat or drink. If I snack, it's a small bowl of low-calorie popcorn or a granola bar, and I keep tabs on my portions at dinner. The way you divide your plate is very helpful to me. Thank you. :-)
  • southgirl94
    Options
    Of course she has tried tracking thats what this is all about. I go through the same ups and downs some days I track others I don't. The one thing that I realize is the differnce between day dreaming about it and having a goal is a solid plan and end to the process. Maybe you motivate yourself with something such as put 5 dollars for every pound in a savings account to buy new slimmer clothes. Personally I am going to try it and see if I can motivate myself to lose more.
    Best,
    Karrie

Thank you for your encouragement! I really appreciate it.