Persistent Anxiety on low carbs

Options
mywayroche
mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all,

Ive been on a diet for over a year but if i go a few days without at least 150g of carbs then i literally cant think straight. I find myself splittig my days between punishing myself for my past or worrying about the future but one carb-tastic day or a sugary coffee and Im fine again. Im not very comfortable with constantly drinking sugary drinks but i dont want to be Jeckle or Hyde depending on the available starches in my cupboard lol.

Is this normal or do i need to get checked out? Im a bit concerned that my symptoms fit the hypoglycemia that is described by diabetics

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you need to eat less than 150g carbs per day?
  • mywayroche
    Options
    No reason. My wife bought a lot of nuts and i sometimes eat too many. Its more of an accident than anything but yes i could be more controlled

Is 150 low?
  • Yoyoghurt
    Yoyoghurt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think you have answered your own question! Just make a medical appointment asap and go.
    It is always better to find out what the cause or causes might be sooner rather than later.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you have plenty of carbs in your diet then, doesn't have to be sugary drinks. If you're concerned it's a medical issue, see a doctor.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mywayroche wrote: »
    No reason. My wife bought a lot of nuts and i sometimes eat too many. Its more of an accident than anything but yes i could be more controlled

Is 150 low?

So eat more carbs... simple.
  • mywayroche
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I probably should just go to the doc, its really playing on my mind
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be sugary drinks or low carb? Carbohydrates are found in anything from whole grains to legumes to vegetables to fruit.

Also what's your calorie intake like? Are you eating enough calories in general?
  • mywayroche
    Options

Is 150 low?

So eat more carbs... simple.

That definitely would fix it! Lol
  • mywayroche
    Options
    Reading about low carb diets has put my mind at ease a little. Rule number 1: dont google your symptoms
  • mywayroche
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be sugary drinks or low carb? Carbohydrates are found in anything from whole grains to legumes to vegetables to fruit.

Also what's your calorie intake like? Are you eating enough calories in general?

It doesnt have to be sugary drinks, i just found that a cup of tea with a sugar alleviates it a bit. I kinda feel silly now though
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Is 150 low?

Ah, yes, nuts have a habit of sneaking into my mouth too, little beggars (and yes, I am aware I've just left myself wide open on that, but this is not the cesspool that is Chit Chat, people!!).

150 is lowish. Some of the low cabers consider anything under 150 to be low carb. I'd call it low end of moderate. Anyway, doesn't matter. Unless you have a medical reason to eat lower carb, there's no need to, so just enjoy all that carb-y goodness.
  • NelwynnValala
    NelwynnValala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask your doctor about a blood-test for vitamin D and iron? A lack of those can cause feelings of anxiety too.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Carbs provide a serotonin boost to the brain. Low-carbing can be a little rough on the mood in people who have serotonin deficiencies.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Is 150 low?

To be more scientific: most nutrition guidelines (for non-fad diets) tend toward 50-60% calories from carbs. 150 grams of protein would be 600 calories. So unless you're eating 1200 calories, 150 grams is well under that moderate range of carbohydrates.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Ive been on a diet for over a year but if i go a few days without at least 150g of carbs then i literally cant think straight. I find myself splittig my days between punishing myself for my past or worrying about the future but one carb-tastic day or a sugary coffee and Im fine again. Im not very comfortable with constantly drinking sugary drinks but i dont want to be Jeckle or Hyde depending on the available starches in my cupboard lol.

Is this normal or do i need to get checked out? Im a bit concerned that my symptoms fit the hypoglycemia that is described by diabetics

See your doctor if you're worried about mood problems related to diet. As other people have said, why limit the carbs to below 150g? Calories are king in weight control.

I believe our brains run on glucose, which carbs provide. I eat loads of carbs in the form of vegetables, fruit, oatmeal, legumes, etc. I get anxious without them. I once did volunteer work in a place where the public donated most of the food. We had minimal vegetables and fruit and I became antsy and miserable -- which would turn around when I ate an apple.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I need my carbs! LOTS, they are my fuel, I go go go all day!
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hmm my anxiety is lower since starting low carb (under 100g) but the nightmares are more entertaining. When I have too many carbs for the day, (over100g), that's when I start having anxiety and regret issues. Definitely get that checked out. Each person is different.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Funny, I had increased anxiety on low carb-Keto level carbs as well.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Have you had a sleep study done to see if you experience sleep apnea?
    Maybe talk to your doctor.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Rule number 1: don't google your symptoms

Yes, that.