I've stopped weighing myself, anyone else?

Options
13»

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Wow! The word a * r * s * e * got a "kitten"......good to know!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    For me, weighing myself means less than it did before. During my weight loss in 2014, it was all about the numbers. My goal was 125 pounds. The next thing I knew, in early 2015 was that I got down to 117 pounds. For the rest of 2015 and part of 2016, I simply maintained, with a buffer of 117-120 pounds. I wore a size 4 pants.

In mid 2016, due to boredom than anything else, I started weight training. My weight, ever so slowly creeped up. It freaked me out. However, earlier this year, the last time I weighed I was 126 pounds (in the doctor's office) BUT I am still wearing a size 4 pants! The numbers on the scale are just that - numbers. I am defining myself by my measurements now. While I feel sore all the time, I am stronger and a bit more defined. I do carry about 2 pounds of inflammation at any given time. (It took me almost a year to determine that!). As long as my clothes still fit me, I call it good!
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    For me, weighing myself means less than it did before. During my weight loss in 2014, it was all about the numbers. My goal was 125 pounds. The next thing I knew, in early 2015 was that I got down to 117 pounds. For the rest of 2015 and part of 2016, I simply maintained, with a buffer of 117-120 pounds. I wore a size 4 pants.

In mid 2016, due to boredom than anything else, I started weight training. My weight, ever so slowly creeped up. It freaked me out. However, earlier this year, the last time I weighed I was 126 pounds (in the doctor's office) BUT I am still wearing a size 4 pants! The numbers on the scale are just that - numbers. I am defining myself by my measurements now. While I feel sore all the time, I am stronger and a bit more defined. I do carry about 2 pounds of inflammation at any given time. (It took me almost a year to determine that!). As long as my clothes still fit me, I call it good!

I sort of think this is what has happened to me. When I think about the fitness changes I've made in the last year or so, I see my yoga practice. Strange how I have never felt stronger or even slimmer before yet this is when the weight number creeps.

Some of my clothes fit differently, others do not. There doesn't see to be any consistency. This of course leads me to think I should probably face the scale and just work with it as I've...simply a guide not a death knell.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I have to step on the scale.

I have had times in the past when I didn't because I didn't have a scale and it was fine, and I continued to lose weight, but I was logging my food religiously.

The scale keeps me in check. Even though I log food, I start saying, "Well, only a couple hundred calories over, no big." It really isn't a big deal, but if I do that fairly regularly pretty soon I start saying, "Well only 600 over - I haven't gained at 200 over..." It's a dangerous spiral. I weigh myself at a minimum every Friday and Monday, because I find Thursday - Sunday to be days I tend to over eat.

I love my Excel spreadsheet, and I have to have all the data filled in for the formulas to work properly. :lol: It's just one more layer of accountability I've created.
  • kistockman
    Options
    *Sigh*

I think I should be grateful that I did not toss th scale as so many friends have suggested. I will get back on. Please pray that I don't become depressed by the number I am sure to see.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    kistockman wrote: »
    *Sigh*

I think I should be grateful that I did not toss th scale as so many friends have suggested. I will get back on. Please pray that I don't become depressed by the number I am sure to see.

I think it is better to know than to quietly creep back up until you are 20 pounds over where you want to be. knowledge is power! best of luck and don't be depressed, just create an action plan!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    kistockman wrote: »
    *Sigh*

Can't you just look at it the same way you look at your birthday? "Yup, another year."

It's just a data point that gives you fairly accurate feedback.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am post-menopausal I weigh myself when I feel my clothes getting tighter. I have been on maintenance for a few years now. The most I have gained is 7 pounds and I have managed to lose that. I found a weighing myself day or weekly was more about a number and not how I was feeling. I am strong and healthy and that is my goal. With the holidays approaching I will weigh myself the first of the month until Spring.
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dx and SummerSkier (who must be my weight-loss twin). I'm not at maintenance yet, but I'm ready to ditch the scale and logging. I realize both are a source of stress but help keep me on track. I can feel a pound or 2, up or down, so I think I can nip trends in the bud. I just choose not to. So much to learn. Good luck doing what works best for you and your lifestyle. You'll figure it out. Stay in the stress-free zone!
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    You don't have to continue food logging/measuring but I would continue to weigh yourself regularly. It doesn't have to be daily by any means, weekly or two times a month would suffice. You're not worried about the actual number, you're more worried about the longer-term trend of the number.

As you've seen over the past 10 years, people who continue to track their weight after they stop losing stand a much better chance of keeping the weight off. Staying aware of your weight trends ensures that you continue to focus on a reasonable calorie intake and helps you to identify and act upon any issues early.

• Yoyoghurt
    Yoyoghurt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I rejoined MFP as my weight went up when I wasn't tracking regularly. I have now learnt that lesson. As soon as I reach that goal again, I will make sure to weigh myself weekly but won't need to track the food unless my weight is up. However I don't mind food logging and I think that is useful data too. I also have a revised goal: 'Maintain my weight within x range (a 2 kg range which is 1 kg either side of goal weight) for z years'.
    But don't use getting older as an excuse. There are lots of older people out there in good condition at healthy weights. Be one of them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily is my primary way to keep myself on track - but it's just data and doesn't make or break my day.

I understand the vast majority of my changes in weight that are out of proportion to my calorie intake through experience and those seemingly random jumps that seem to defy logic are just a curiosity rather than a big deal.
    An inexplicable jump upwards sorts itself out in the next couple of days.

As long as my weight is trending around my desired weight I'm fine - if I breach my upper intervention point then that's what I do, start to make small adjustments like skipping breakfast or making lower calorie food choices.

I can maintain without food logging but not sure I can do the same without weighing myself.
    The one time in my adult life I stopped weighing regularly I quickly ballooned up to my highest ever weight so I feel investing 3 seconds every morning isn't a big deal.

• SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a new plan right now. I used to use scales once a week but with the fluctuations I was feeling like I'm not getting anywhere.
    I'm now more consistent in the gym now that I have a routine ( 5 times a week) and weigh once a month.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    yeah I did that long ago........because it can trick you into thinking better or worse of yourself.
  • kistockman
    Options
    Since beginning this discussion I decided to weigh myself once each of the past two weeks. The first time I was higher than I've been since after my pregnancy, this morning I lost .3lbs. I think my talk of tossing it may have scared the scale into showing a loss even if a small one. lol!

I am feeling better and will continue to weigh myself and hope the trend downward will continue to my goal weight.