Heart rate affecting readout

Options
Question: I have a condition where my resting heart rate is between 90-120. I jump up to 200 fast and easy with exercise. If I were to utilize a Fitbit, would it inaccurately calculate my calorie expenditure? My heart rate can easily jump to 160+ with just a flight of stairs.

Thanks!!

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the Fitbit but on Garmins you can manually set your HR info and override the standard 220-age assignment. I also think that it might learn your baseline stats over time and adjust its calculations accordingly.

I'm guessing that the Fitbit would be capable of a similar adjustment.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Ck103084 wrote: »
    Be very careful with a fitbit and heart issues. The fitbit gave my mother an extra heartbeat. She went for a bunch of tests and the extra beat went away when she stopped wearing it.

Good luck!

This happens? How?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you have an exercise HR that is miles away from "average" then yes, HR based calorie estimates will be badly affected.

HRM's only really have a reasonable accuracy if you happen to be somewhat "average" or are able to calibrate it to your particular physiology.

Depending on what your exercise actually is will determine if there's better ways to get a reasonable estimate.