Logging bacon?

Options
2»

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    In the US, the Calorie and nutrition information on the package label for raw bacon are for fully cooked slice or 2 slices. The raw weight of a normal slice of bacon is 1 ounce (28g). After cooking and releasing its fat and water content, the average weight for one pan-fried slice is 11.5g cooked, for microwaved 9.1g, and for baked 8.1g.

Thick-cut bacon slices will of course have higher Calories and nutrients.

The syntax for locating the MFP database item imported from the USDA database for bacon fat is "Pork, bacon, rendered fat, cooked."

I use Animal fat, bacon grease

Wouldn't you have to keep cooking the leftover fat for a significant amount of time beyond what it takes to get the bacon crispy to have rendered fat? I just let the pan cool a bit after I cook the bacon (but not so much that the fat congeals again), pour it into a small plastic tub that once held onion dip, and stick it in the refrigerator. It keeps fine for a long time (months and months) that way.

[Goes away to check USDA nutrient database.]

Doesn't seem to make much difference which entry one uses. The rendered fat has 898 calories per 100 grams, compared to 897 for the bacon grease, and .07 g protein per 100 g, compared to none for the bacon grease, and you get trace amounts of some vitamins and minerals in the rendered fat than you don't get in the bacon grease (presumably comes with the trace of protein).

They are very similar.

The "Animal fat, bacon grease" entry in MFP uses volume serving sizes (tsp, ml).
    The "Pork, bacon, rendered fat, cooked" entry in MFP uses weight serving sizes (oz, g).

I prefer using the weight measurements, so I use the second one.

Also, I do let the bacon drippings cook for a while after removing the bacon to evaporate all of the water, cool, then strain into the storage jar.