Trail shoes for road running

Options
This may seem odd but i have been wondering about trying trail shoes for road racing (5K, 10K, etc).

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

My thought process is that the trail tread would give better grip on various road surfaces.

Thanks

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It can be done. Lots of people use trail shoes on roads during the winter.

What kind of road surfaces are you running on that regular road shoes don't have enough grip?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I use road shoes on the trail so why not.
    You may want a bit more cusion if running on a hard surface. I have never lost footing except on ice patches so I don't see much benefit to using a trail shoe. Right now I am running on Hoka one one constant 2 because of the great cushioning. I am an urban runner so I am 100% asphalt and concrete. I also work at a low impact stride too.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    In many cases it would. In many cases it's not necessary. In some cases, the ride wouldn't be as good because of the more aggressive tread. Trail shoes can also be heavier, and running on tarmac/concrete could cause them to wear out faster. But there's no reason you couldn't do it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't like the way a aggressive tread trail shoes feel on paved surfaces. You aren't going to get better grip unless the road you are running on is covered with snow, dirt or mud.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of using my trail shoes on pavement. My trail shoes are far more rigid and not nearly as comfortable on the road for one, especially if I am running any kind of distance. They are also heavier, which is not a plus on the road. You are also apt to wear down the soles on trail shoes faster on pavement. Unless you have budget constraints that prevent it, just buy a good road shoe to go along with your trail shoe.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I've used them on icey/snow roads.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I don't like the way a aggressive tread trail shoes feel on paved surfaces. You aren't going to get better grip unless the road you are running on is covered with snow, dirt or mud.

This. If anything I've felt less grip in super aggressive tread when doing stretches of pavement in OCR races. It's very uncomfortable to log extended miles in aggressively treaded shoes on pavement. It's not good for the shoes or your body.

But now if you are talking "trail shoes" that look much like other "road running" shoes in a department store....you could probably get away just fine with that. I've never had issues with grip on pavement though....perhaps you have some other type of issues related to running form that causes you to feel the need for more grip?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You would probably have better traction on hard surfaces with a road shoe (somewhat like a mountain bike tire vs a road bike tire) and the trail shoe is going to be a little heavier and the sole may wear a little faster but if they're comfortable go for it.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I like my trail shoes for work/walking around the office or doing work around the house but find that they make blisters on the soles of my feet and don't provide enough cushion for running on pavement. I also don't like to wear my running shoes for anything besides purposeful pavement walking and running. It depends on you and what you are comfortable with.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    I like my trail shoes for work/walking around the office or doing work around the house but find that they make blisters on the soles of my feet and don't provide enough cushion for running on pavement. I also don't like to wear my running shoes for anything besides purposeful pavement walking and running. It depends on you and what you are comfortable with.

It sounds like you have an ill-fitting pair of trail shoes? They shouldn't cause blisters.
  • rgl536
    rgl536 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I run almost exclusively on sidewalks and paved roads and i get good cushioning from the road shoes i wear. I may try a pair of trail shoes for the upcoming winter months.

Thanks again everyone!!!