Will I get results?

Options
Hi all!
About me: 41 years old female. 5'2", 157 lbs
Haven't been anywhere near "fit" in well over 10 years due to health issues (MS, lymphoma) and fear of the gym. I am currently healthy, nothing holding me back from exercise.
I have joined Planet Fitness, and given my "goals" of getting stronger and leaner, I was recommended a fitness plan as follows (i run 2-3 days/week 4-5km because I enjoy it):
Day one: Upper Body
Day two: Run
Day three: cardio (not running)
Day four: rest
Day five: abs/lower body
Day six: Run
Day seven: rest

Here is my question: Is this what people do when starting out with weights? weights on each body area one day a week?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    People do an lot of different things, often times not the most optimal plan. I would follow a full body routine rather than splitting into upper/lower and only doing each 1x per week. Keep it basic, compound movements and you'll be better off. 2 days lifting is enough, 3 is probably better, but no need to jump into that right now, especially since you like running
  • debisjazz
    debisjazz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Cool! Thank you. :smile:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Agree with ^^. Would suggest you start with 2-3 days of exercise to start. See how your body tolerates that for a few weeks, then add another day every month or so. Most people do too much too fast.