Bluetooth Scale...worth it?

Options
Debating on the purchase of a scale with Bluetooth to directly sync to MFP that does more than just measure weight. Anyone have an opinion or have one they love/hate?

Replies

• Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No. I have one. The scale itself is fine but it has problems sync'ing and the body fat reading is not accurate.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    The non-weight measurements aren't terribly reliable but they're OK for watching longer-term trends. That said, BMI is a canned calculation based on height/weight and you can do that without the scale. Other stats like water volume or calorie burn are pretty useless and inaccurate (my scale says I should burn 10% more calories than I actually do).

I don't have a BT connection on my scale but to be honest, I don't usually have my phone with me when I weigh myself anyway. It's easy enough to take 30 seconds to input the data into my phone manually when I have it and if I forget to enter a day or two who cares? I'll still be able to see the long-term trends.

Smart scales aren't bad, but they're not worth dropping a ton of money on my any means. While they are a bit more expensive, a good fitness/sport tracker is a much better 'health' investment.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I love the fact that it sends the data instantly! And that I can't forget or cheat too easily, lol:-) (FitBit scale)
    I hate that the BF%, etc. aren't accurate. So, not worth the $ (but I got mine with reward points from work!)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I picked up a Withings scale from a clearance bin, and I do like it. The BF% trend seems reasonable (I have it linked to trendweight.com), if not 100% accurate and I like that I just step on it and it updates Garmin, MFP, Trendweight and Libra. Need to figure out how to push it to an Excel sheet......
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have the Withings and it syncs just fine. Never had syncing issues. I also use it with trendweight and I find it convenient for someone who is as lazy as me. Now if I find a way to utilize the fitbit API to sync weight to my Excel spreadsheet I'll be the happiest woman alive, but I'm too lazy to mess with code without step by step instructions.

ETA: Wow @taTacklewasher, I wrote my response before I read yours to the end. I guess I'm not the only one looking for an excel solution.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    I have the Withings and it syncs just fine. Never had syncing issues. I also use it with trendweight and I find it convenient for someone who is as lazy as me. Now if I find a way to utilize the fitbit API to sync weight to my Excel spreadsheet I'll be the happiest woman alive, but I'm too lazy to mess with code without step by step instructions.

ETA: Wow @taTacklewasher, I wrote my response before I read yours to the end. I guess I'm not the only one looking for an excel solution.

Okay.

I am laughing out loud at this.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited September 2017
    Options

Okay.

I am laughing out loud at this.

I know there is one, because ifttt does it (to Google sheets), and I remember someone here making a sheet that pulled data from MFP with a press of a button, so yeah, it's possible. It has been on my mind for a while now and a few days ago I finally decided to look into it, and the closest I got was looking at the Fitbit developer web page then being too lazy to register (I'm sure Garmin has a similar protocol). MFP API is available to approved developers only, so yeah..

I just don't want to do the work because it has been years since I touched any code so it's like relearning things again :( If I ever do, I will let you know!

P.S: sorry for indirectly calling you lazy! :flushed:
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit scale I love it.... don't know if it's worth it but I like it
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin index scale. I like it so far.
  • DAGridesagain
    DAGridesagain Posts: 132 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting the Garmin Index scales but not convinced that the £149/$149 is justified.

I'm the only Garmin device user in the house - everyone else has a Fitbit. But I'm totally Garmin - Edge 1000 on the bike plus Vivoactive HR.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I picked up a Withings scale from a clearance bin, and I do like it. The BF% trend seems reasonable (I have it linked to trendweight.com), if not 100% accurate and I like that I just step on it and it updates Garmin, MFP, Trendweight and Libra. Need to figure out how to push it to an Excel sheet......

@Tacklewasher That's a LOT of data. Accountant?
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have the Aria from fitbit and it is honestly just a gimmick for the most part. The body fat readings it gives are highly inaccurate, leaving the only real advantage that it automatically logs my weight. So it saves me maybe a few keystrokes a month.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have a Greater Goods digital scale (Weight Gurus).. it syncs to MFP, MFP syncs to my Garmin. No syncing issues, costs around $59 , body fat % on any digital scale will never be 100% accurate, you need professional testing for that, but it seems to be within 1.5 to 2% accuracy.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The error on BIA measurements for body fat (which scales use) is north of +/- 10%
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have the Withings (now Nokia) scale, and it was worth every penny.

No BF measurement is going to be perfect, but mine seems to check out mathematically over time. If I weight under similar conditions it shows similar lean body mass (after multiplying weight by bf%). As I've lost weight the numbers have continued to track what I would expect.
  • AshEvelynn
    AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    All good thoughts, I still can't decide lol. Sounds like there are pros and cons to it like most devices I suppose....thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback!
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Keep in mind that all you get out of this device is not having to enter your weight manually into certain apps. If this function is worth the extra money to you (it is to me) then buy it. Otherwise, it's no better or worse than any old scale. Also make sure to get one that is compatible with the apps you wish to use. Getting an obscure brand that only syncs to their website defeats the purpose (unless that's where you want to track your weight).
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »

@Tacklewasher That's a LOT of data. Accountant?

Lion Tamer.

I've got a hat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYqqla3HTyY

(And yes I do have a hat that says Lion Tamer)
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    vertego wrote: »
    I've been thinking about getting the Garmin Index scales but not convinced that the £149/$149 is justified.

I'm the only Garmin device user in the house - everyone else has a Fitbit. But I'm totally Garmin - Edge 1000 on the bike plus Vivoactive HR.

When I looked, the Garmin had horrible syncing issues. Seemed pretty consistent that it was bad. May be better now, but I'd check the Garmin forums first.

My Withins works fine with Garmin Connect (and everything else).